Installing drivers and stuff in linux

alexis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that Linux can't read NTFS? I was thinking of installing Linux on a partition I just made on my new hdd but its NTFS.

It can. Write support is possible too (although a little limited). It's just that some distros like Redhat (I haven't touched RH for some time, the newer Fedora Core may have them) do not come with the NTFS driver due to legal reasons.

edit: Linux can access an NTFS drive but you can't actually INSTALL Linux on it.

Edited by ugenn

Which version of linux should i buy?

which would you choose and why

Slackware

Mandrake

Red Hat

Debian

Fedora

?????'

i am makeing my first steps but i always considered myself a power user and a fast learner, if i have the time ;)

My friend using openbsd says it's easier then what he was running before. It also includes hangman! Play the game to make your PC restart!

Which version of linux should i buy?

which would you choose and why

Slackware

Mandrake

Red Hat

Debian

Fedora

?????'

i am makeing my first steps but i always considered myself a power user and a fast learner, if i have the time :D

For beginners, try Mandrake (why do you need to buy anyway, it's freely available). RH (Fedora Core) is server centric, Slackware and Debian are more for powerusers.

i am not buying anything, i am El Cheapo greatest fan. hehe, anyway i am new to linux but i consider mayself a power user so i guess i will install slackware. i will probably buy get both slackware and debian. if i am not wrong that´s 2 cds and 3cd respectively.