Sierra Is No More...

This really sucks, Sierra made the great Counter-Strike. The best first person shooter that was ever made. This marks a sad day in the gaming scene. :)

PS: It's nice to see you back SgtSarros.

Well...Sierra just released it. It was made by Gooseman and his team... or something like that.

Legend has it was just gooseman when it was first released. More team memberes as the mod picked up.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counter-Strike was born on Gooseman the day Navy Seals mod for Quake 1 was created. Navy Seals grew under a different route that was known as Action Quake 2 then Action Half-Life. Gooseman decides to quit from the A-Team to create CS, then people began to pick it up. all of these happened to CS as a freely downloadable mod (you people need to see the older versions of the models :) ).

I doubt the hacker theory now. Everyone is just extremely good now. Did you know you can shoot thru EVERY SINGLE WALL in DE_Nuke? Or shooting thru certain walls, doors and mostly all crates are shoot thruable. Example is de_nuke, cs_assualt (back entrance, and above the back entrance, the whole 2 walls before the back entrance) de_dust/de_dust2 (small cornors of each doorway). You learn alot from playing in CAL and lans about this game.

I agree the models for cs alpha were horride. Beta 7 / 1.3 is the best CS ever.

Ahh who can't forget bunnyhopping in CS? I sure can't.

Those damn bunnyhoppers :)

Ahh who can't forget bunnyhopping in CS? I sure can't.

Those damn bunnyhoppers :)

Dude, that was the sheit.

bummer. i have quite a few sierra games on my pc at the moment. i dig thier sims the most i think. they got a new one coming out, or is out, about egypt. it looks pretty sweet.

edit- oh yah, game i was thinking about is called children of the nile. im gonna pick it up.

NOOOOO!!! I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm more upset about this than about the death of Marlon Brando! The early Sierra games were the games that got me into gaming!! Like Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry. Speaking of which, I hope the new LSL still gets released! Although maybe I should not buy it now as a protest for what Vivendi did (the bastards!)

Damn, this is just like what I was reading on the Uplink: Hacker Elite website. I was curious as to how a game with basically no graphics and no 'conventional' action wound up being so popular, so I was reading reviews and stuff on the site, and I found the article called "Recommended] Article in Develop Magazine (July 2002 edition)" on this page: http://www.uplink.co.uk/othersites_printmagreviews.html

Its an article the author of the game wrote himself, and in it he talks about how big business is causing the death of the games industry. These days games cost as much as movies to create, they take years of teams of 50 working on them, and even when they're released they never make spectacular profits (the marketing and advertising departments take too big a slice). The end result, he feels (and I'm inclined to agree) is that companies are too scared to risk creating new and original games, they'd rather do "Warcraft VII" than anything potentially innovative, and it's killing the game industry! And if you think about it, it's happening everywhere in the industry - SNK got swallowed by Sammy, for example, and now this. And the gamers are the ones suffering - pretty soon the only games to choose from will be sequels and movie tie-ins!!

RIP Sierra, the greatest small game company (while it was still small) that was ever made :angry:

NOOOOO!!! I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm more upset about this than about the death of Marlon Brando! The early Sierra games were the games that got me into gaming!! Like Space Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry. Speaking of which, I hope the new LSL still gets released! Although maybe I should not buy it now as a protest for what Vivendi did (the bastards!)

Damn, this is just like what I was reading on the Uplink: Hacker Elite website. I was curious as to how a game with basically no graphics and no 'conventional' action wound up being so popular, so I was reading reviews and stuff on the site, and I found the article called "Recommended] Article in Develop Magazine (July 2002 edition)" on this page: http://www.uplink.co.uk/othersites_printmagreviews.html

Its an article the author of the game wrote himself, and in it he talks about how big business is causing the death of the games industry. These days games cost as much as movies to create, they take years of teams of 50 working on them, and even when they're released they never make spectacular profits (the marketing and advertising departments take too big a slice). The end result, he feels (and I'm inclined to agree) is that companies are too scared to risk creating new and original games, they'd rather do "Warcraft VII" than anything potentially innovative, and it's killing the game industry! And if you think about it, it's happening everywhere in the industry - SNK got swallowed by Sammy, for example, and now this. And the gamers are the ones suffering - pretty soon the only games to choose from will be sequels and movie tie-ins!!

RIP Sierra, the greatest small game company (while it was still small) that was ever made :angry:

Yup, that's so true (Except the Marlon Brando part, he was god :angry:). The same thing is also happening in the music and film industry. It's a sad state of affairs.

Anyone remember EarthSeige 2?

Kicked Mechwarrior 2s ass up and down the street!!

Kings quest was also sweet, remember that mocking bird in the one game? thing musta had 200 insults built in!!

Seirra Ruled, This is very sad and a big loss, kinda like when Apogee died (well, they kinda just became 3D Realms, but you know what i mean)