Why Doesn't Shareaza Work?

I can't get Shareaza to work. I connect to a network, Gnutella 2, search for files, and I double click on the file I want.

But that's where it ends, unfortunately. The files just don't download. I pause/unpause them, and "search for more sources" to try to give them a kick, but nothing works. Am I doing something wrong?

I have heard Shareaza is very slow. Is this true? I have also heard it sucks your Internet connection dry, so it is not a good idea to have it running while you are surfing. And I am still on 56k too.

Can anyone help me? I am still very new to P2P, the only P2P program I am familiar with is WinMX. There seems to be so much cool stuff on Shareaza, however.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That happens to me a lot too. I have 5 things queued up to download and only one of them, a torrent, has finished. The others aren't even starting. When I was on 56K I couldn't even connect to a neighbor.

Sometimes it takes quite a while before anything moves in Shareaza, especially when you try to download something off an eDonkey server.

Gnutella 2 and 1 should always connect, but if you want eDonkey, you need to download the server list. You can do this from the preferences.

When downloading from Gnutella, always check the speed column. If it's very low, there's a great chance that you won't get anything. Also take a look at the download monitor, which let's you see the # of available *real* sources.

One more thing: Basara, are you behind a firewall perhaps?

Edited by Agozer