Romsite....why?!

Why do Ihave the feeling that some of these gyus came over from Blah and registered for the sake of just taking part in this "conversation"?

Hey, its more members who may stay and take part in other conversations.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever think that they are really charging for the ISOs? No, its to keep all of the servers up and running, as they have a shitload of Roms/ISOs. And if you think that paying is too much, then you can donate server space or your own assload of roms/isos. and if you think that is too steep, then find another website and stop complaining about blah

Did you ever think that they are really charging for the ISOs? No, its to keep all of the servers up and running, as they have a shitload of Roms/ISOs. And if you think that paying is too much, then you can donate server space or your own assload of roms/isos. and if you think that is too steep, then find another website and stop complaining about blah

Websites, HA! We don't need no stinkin' websites! DC++ all the way! Everything you will ever need and for free.

even on DC++ somebody has to pay for something somewhere. Bandwidth isn't free (unless you happen to be one of the owners of the internet or the government)

Yeah but they are cool enough not to pass the buck onto the users with mandatory donations for ISOs.

I say meh. People need to keep their servers up, and donations are required to keep them running. But if you keep handing it down to me and say "PAY PAY" I'll go else where or find somebody who is willing to share their account. As for the "Bandwidth isn't free" stuff, we know, stop bring it up. People here sure know about it. Will they listen? Maybe not since all they want is ONE iso at times.

I say meh. People need to keep their servers up, and donations are required to keep them running. But if you keep handing it down to me and say "PAY PAY" I'll go else where or find somebody who is willing to share their account. As for the "Bandwidth isn't free" stuff, we know, stop bring it up. People here sure know about it. Will they listen? Maybe not since all they want is ONE iso at times.

H4w. K`dash laid it out pretty well. Emulation should be always kept free and if people want to help the site, they'll donate. Not under pressure by the site's administration, but because they want to.

And yes, all this 'bandwidth cost money' has been brought up a million times. It's not like people will forget about it once they have heard it for the first time.

H4w. K`dash laid it out pretty well. Emulation should be always kept free and if people want to help the site, they'll donate. Not under pressure by the site's administration, but because they want to.

And yes, all this 'bandwidth cost money' has been brought up a million times. It's not like people will forget about it once they have heard it for the first time.

Should be, but unfortunately this is the real world where, like you said, 'bandwidth costs money'. BTW, how much money have you donated? If you're like the statistics, there is a 99% chance you haven't. Why? Because while novel in practice, not enough people donate voluntarily to keep a server running.

I used to run a Hotline server for free, with just about as many games as Edge had. What did I get? A pile of leechers that didn't even give me the courtesy of a thanks, but dowloaded as much as they felt like.

Should be, but unfortunately this is the real world where, like you said, 'bandwidth costs money'. BTW, how much money have you donated? If you're like the statistics, there is a 99% chance you haven't. Why? Because while novel in practice, not enough people donate voluntarily to keep a server running.

I used to run a Hotline server for free, with just about as many games as Edge had. What did I get? A pile of leechers that didn't even give me the courtesy of a thanks, but dowloaded as much as they felt like.

Like I said, they probabaly don't even pay for bandwith. They most likely have a 10MBPS unmetered bandwith server. Meaning they won't have to pay for bandwith.

There is usually 4 weeks in a month... that's $2400. More than enough for a 10MBPS connection and he probabaly made more during January when emulation really was hot with all the releases of games. I can tell you that I SERIOUSLY doubt he has any bandwith limit on his servers. $30 minimum donation is a hell of a lot of money.

They even said that they just got a new hard drive for all of the roms. Meaning that it's all on one box (server) anyways. So why does everyone have to pay for the rest of their servers? Those rest are probabaly having nothing to do with emulation which = profit. I am a big fan of blah and it's a great site, but seeing this coming along, I thought I had to post my 2 cents. Sorry if I am offending you guys but uhh, you guys came here, I would never post this on your own site since that'll just cause problems that none of us need. So, remember that. :(

EDIT:

You can even see here towards the bottom how much a VERY HIGH end server with a 10MBPS connection costs:

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/xeon_series.asp (I even already posted this before, but forgot to hit the nail on the wall by telling you it's also a unmetered bandwith box/server, you can also find cheaper than this with other providers. Hell he can even make his own server and it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper with the same 10MBPS unmetered bandwith connection)

EDIT II: Again you can see that he can easily afford that since he is approximently getting $600 a week from one time fee's from new users EVERY WEEK. And that server only costs $500 a MONTH, unlimited bandwith.

Bandwith costs money?!!? Whuaaat! I r teh n00b and thought that all these sites are free! :(