Romsite....why?!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive always wanted to register to that place back when they started the layout (and the download system) on their site. one thing that just made me back out is that i just didnt find out if its free or not, until i eventually forgot the site itself.

theres always blah and blah jr. for console/handheld rom downloads anyway.

Edited by Agozer

What are you talking about? The registration has been there for quite a while now and I can download roms just fine.

I've registered since lasy year and now i can even download 1 MB files because of some donation crap.

What are you talking about? The registration has been there for quite a while now and I can download roms just fine.

I've registered since lasy year and now i can even download 1 MB files because of some donation crap.

Well, what can I say? Bandwidth costs a fortune. Emulation is considered to be "free" yet few people realize the true server costs of a hge emulation site. Yes, it probably wan't the webmaster's ideo to start collecting donations at first, but times change.

After looking at this site, I can say that there are several ways of looking at this.

1) The first way is people just donating for the site to help pay for bandwith that the roms use up so the site will stay alive.

2) The second way is people donating just for rom access. (kind of the same as #3)

3) The third way is people basically paying for roms. Here is why I say this. After looking through the site, you can see he has a section that shows how much people are donating every week. This week itself, he has made $617 in donations (not counting tomorrow or the rest of today)!! It's a $30 minimum for full rom access. Now you think, this site is also a company (I did my research) which says in their mission statement for their ".net" domain that states they have several servers all around the world. Now, these guys would have to have a unmetered server... meaning bandwith is unlimited under a 10Mbit connection. Many providers have this option. And as far as I can see, these guys look pretty rich as it is to have so many servers. Now you think, they are probabaly making a approx just from seeing this week.. $600 a week.

There is usually 4 weeks in a month... that's $2400. More than enough for a 10MBPS connection and he probabaly made more during January when emulation really was hot with all the releases of games. I can tell you that I SERIOUSLY doubt he has any bandwith limit on his servers. $30 minimum donation is a hell of a lot of money. More than regular webhosting! This guy is making more money than any emulation site I have seen. I would never pay for roms, I think it brings the scene down and is not good at all. Anyways it's my theory, You can even see here towards the bottom how much a VERY HIGH end server with a 10MBPS connection costs:

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/xeon_series.asp

That price is $499 month. This guy is making a freaking crazy amount of profit. Now your probabaly asking, maybe he has the roms on other servers too. Well yes, but he said on his site that he just got a new hard drive for all of it, meaning one server. I'd suggest Direct Connect if someone wants roms, it has 10x more than this site can ever have in the next 10 years or more.

PS: No offence towards EdgeEmu if they ever get to read this, it's your site, do what you want.

What he's doing is highly illegal. He's making a crap load of profit off of stuff that people with a minimum amount of initiative can find for free. There are still plenty of free rom sites and then there's DC++, FTPs, and P2P.

He's doing something very wrong and 30 bucks a month is steep as hell!

I'd never pay for ROMs, either. It just somehow seems highly immoral, unless you're doing something like mame_freak's MAME burning project.

If I was running a ROMs site like Blah, I'd use the excess money for upgrading the server(s) in any way I could, and put all the money generated directly into improving the site unless hard times hit and I needed a little quick cash to get by.

I'd never pay for ROMs, either. It just somehow seems highly immoral, unless you're doing something like mame_freak's MAME burning project.

Neither do I and never will. After reading GameCop's post, all I can say is that he hit the bullseye. Well, at least EdgeEmulation is still "free", to a degree.

Edited by Agozer