Game Engines

Which game engines made you say "w00t" it's w00t right? Like the really good particle effects in The "konami engine" I dont know the names but it's the one of MGS 2 and Zone of enders (No lagg, yes!) or the Geo Mod in Red faction 1&2(no more walls baby) or the crapy when near bt spectacular from a far like in Devil may cry and Legacy of kain: defiancy(wow new engine) and the spectacular Metroid Prime.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original Unreal engine when it came out.

The Geo Mod™ in Red Faction 1 & 2

MGS2 engine and Zone of the Enders engine. (Damn those look nice).

Virtua Fighter 4 is awesome in terms of facial expessions and the way the bodies react to different attacks.

Excellent question, Cominus.

Let's start this from the beginning.

- Doom (was too young when Wolfenstein 3D came out)

- BUILD

- Quake

- Quake II

- Unreal (the first one)

- Quake III

- Halo (when the first video came out, before Bungie was swallowed by M$)

- MaxFX (Bullet time was the absolute coolest)

- NetImmerse (the Morrowind engine)

- Doom III

- Source

- X-Ray (the S.T.A.L.K.E.R engine)

- Unreal 3.0

As you can see, I'm a pretty big FPS player (PC only!). And John Carmack owns you all.

Tekken 4

Xmen vs. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Alpha 2

I would say Art of Fighting cause it was one of the first fighting games, but the controlls sucked big hairy ass, but it wasn't until Street Fighter 2 came out IMO, that controlling the characters in fighting games was really modernized

Tekken 4

Xmen vs. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Alpha 2

I would say Art of Fighting cause it was one of the first fighting games, but the controlls sucked big hairy ass, but it wasn't until Street Fighter 2 came out IMO, that controlling the characters in fighting games was really modernized

Tekken 4? The graphics were alright but you could get caught in juggels and never escape.

Anyways, we're talkking about game engines not gameplay or video games. A game engine is what let things run together, the back gone...or the engine. Like the fire in devil may cry and the fire in MGS 2 dont really look the same, but thats becuase of the game engine or the way the charaters in halo compared to Virtua fighter 4, again the game engine. but anyways you're fan of the "SF alpha or part 2" And the "Marvel super heros" engines since they were the first games to like use their combo engine.

Tekken 4

Xmen vs. Street Fighter

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Tekken 4? The graphics were alright but you could get caught in juggels and never escape.

Anyways, we're talkking about game engines not gameplay or video games. A game engine is what let things run together, the back gone...or the engine. Like the fire in devil may cry and the fire in MGS 2 dont really look the same, but thats becuase of the game engine or the way the charaters in halo compared to Virtua fighter 4, again the game engine. but anyways you're fan of the "SF alpha or part 2" And the "Marvel super heros" engines since they were the first games to like use their combo engine.

then forget Tekken 4 and just leave the rest of the stuff I put there.

I put xmvsf because of the tag feature...sfa2 because of the super moves, alpha counters, etc

and Art of Fighting cause I heard a lot of ppl saying that a lot of developers changed their engines to be like it in a way, but the controlls sucked ass so I put Street Fighter 2 because their engine fixed that nasty control issue

And John Carmack owns you all.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D I, like the K man, am a huge FPS fan. I'd say what really shocked me was Half-Life since it was based off the Quake/Quake 2 engine (Q2 is based off of Q1 engine BTW). Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 look really cool also, IMO. Quake 3 was another great one from id. My favorite has to be the Duke Nukem Forever engine, though :huh: (hopefully I'm not the only one to get this joke...).

Edited by StriderSkorpion

And John Carmack owns you all.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;) I, like the K man, am a huge FPS fan. I'd say what really shocked me was Half-Life since it was based off the Quake/Quake 2 engine (Q2 is based off of Q1 engine BTW). Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 look really cool also, IMO. Quake 3 was another great one from id. My favorite has to be the Duke Nukem Forever engine, though :D (hopefully I'm not the only one to get this joke...).

Hahaha...Duke Nukem Forever...I really hope they don't switch engines again or do any more major updating. George Broussard has said it looks absolutely nothing like the Unreal engine now and just uses the barebones code. But that's a good thing. :huh:

And about Half-Life, I was like "This is the Quake 1 engine?!?!" I didn't believe it at first but then I read it used a HEAVILY modified Q1 engine. They did some marvelous stuff with it.

I hope John Carmack never leaves the gaming industry, he's too damn important! But he has confirmed that he working on another engine for a new game that is something fresh. And I wish John Carmack would actually rerelease the Quake games using Doom III technology at a bargain price. I remember him saying he would like to do it but I don't think they are going to. :) It would kick major amounts of ass.

Doom

Doom 3 and it's very scary demons with realtime lighting

Quake I/II/3 (q3 engine is pretty old and it can still amaze me)

Source

Halo (What Gryph said about it, is completely true, 5% of what they wanted to put into the game made it into the final release)

Unreal (Original Unreal)

Unreal Warfare (UT2k3/4, U2)

Unreal Warfare 3.0

CRYTEK

X-Ray (Stalker -> This year's sleeper hit)

Serious Sam Engine (Like, over 60 models and NO SLOW DOWNS! INSANE!)

I hail the deity that is only known as John Carmack.

As for consoles...

MGS2

MK3(Hey, it was the console ports that made it suck, the arcade version is godly compared to the console versions)

Final Fantasy X Engine

Final Fantasy XII Engine (Low poly models and they still look sexy)

KOF`98

Soul Edge/Calibur