Do Games Have A Negative Effect

neo

Does games affect ones academic performance  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think games actually have a positive effect, so I don't know whether to vote yes or no (you didn't specify negative in the name of the poll). First of all, once you reach a certain age, games are not going to make you stoopider (sic) -the only way they can make you fail is that you're spending too much time playing games and not enough time studying. Once the neural synapses take place, they're not going to be destroyed except by chemicals and senility. Also, during your first few years of life, when your brain is still in a form called "placticity", it has been proven that visual and auditory stimulation actually helps brain development, and games are ideal for that sort of stimulation.

Also, I think games helped me mentally. First off all, I grew up with text adventures. That means that when others were veging out in front of the TV, I was reading and writing (even if I WAS playing Leisure Suit Larry, and Space Quest games). Also, games, just like movies, are riddled with little factoids and tidbits. Take 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis', for example - lots of historical and geological facts there. Also it has been proven that adventure/puzzle games help your lateral thinking, which translates to better test performance.

There you have it - proof positive that games, if played only moderately, will not have a negative effect on your academic success. In fact, they CAN have a positive effect.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I nulled my vote. Because it all depends on the person on what he/she does.

studiyng Arabian and Japonese

How's that Japonese coming along? :lol:

Just like random guy, I grew up on text games like Zork and Quest for Glory and stuff. Those games made me learn more advanced vocabulary and helped me write better. I also grew up playing edutainment games like Carmen Sandiego and those Math Blaster games. Those were fun as hell and I learned a crap load from them. RPGs were also great to help improve my reading speed and comprehension skills.

But games are still no substitute for a good book which kids nowadays aren't reading much of. I never liked to read very much but I still forced myself because I knew it would benefit me in the future.

But! Video games have had a serious negative effect on my physical being. Because of video games I never wanted to go outside and exercise or atleast get some physical activity so my muscles wouldn't atrophy. I can blame without a doubt that video games are responsible for making me the extremely lethargic person I am today. I dread going outside to play tennis or do anything physical. I have absolutely no stamina anymore. Before, I used to balance my video gaming out with soccer but I can blame Ultima Online for bringing that to an end.

But in the end, its the individual that is to blame. In most cases at least, sometimes its completely out of the person's hand like a freak accident or something.

The effect video games have on a person is dependent upon the way they are used...

Take me for example. I have an IQ of 160-something, an indicator that I might be doing well in school. I am NOT.

I am failing English and US History.

I believe this is because I've been "desensitized". Often when asked how I felt about a certain selection, I simply cannot answer.

Another reason of my less than acceptable grades, is that not only do I never do any work at home, I also spend all night, and most of the morning, gaming. This leads to a lack of sleep, or more often, sleeping in school.

I HAVE fallen asleep in gym before. The weight machine felt really comfortable at the time.

I WILL NEVER STOP PLAYING, NOR WILL I START SMOKING

what does smoking have to do with anything?!?!? anyways be sure to drink plenty of water during those long gaming binges. wouldn't want you to die like those evercrack fools. :D

i drink sobe, coke, or red bull or a mix of all 3 :lol:

games have a different affect on differnet types of pple

I WILL NEVER STOP PLAYING, NOR WILL I START SMOKING(I drink like there's no

tomorrow, though)

you go boy :D although i dont see the connection between smoking and gaming

Edited by neo

The effect video games have on a person is dependent upon the way they are used...

Take me for example.  I have an IQ of 160-something, an indicator that I might be doing well in school.  I am NOT.

I believe this is because I've been "desensitized".  Often when asked how I felt about a certain selection, I simply cannot answer.

Another reason of my less than acceptable grades, is that not only do I never do any work at home, I also spend all night, and most of the morning, gaming.  This leads to a lack of sleep, or more often, sleeping in school.

I HAVE fallen asleep in gym before.  The weight machine felt really comfortable at the time.

Go figure, I have an IQ of about 130 which is considered "Above Avarage." But dude, my grammar sucks, my spelling is butchered, and my memory sucks like a leech on a dead body. My engrish teacher says I'm a waste of talent since I barely use my mind on most of my subjects. When something I have interests in pops up. Boom, useally between 70 and 90 is my grade. And my sleep pattern is messed up. Who do you know that sleeps for 12 hours sometimes every week. I'm so crazeh.

Take me for example.  I have an IQ of 160-something, an indicator that I might be doing well in school.  I am NOT.

I believe this is because I've been "desensitized".  Often when asked how I felt about a certain selection, I simply cannot answer.

Another reason of my less than acceptable grades, is that not only do I never do any work at home, I also spend all night, and most of the morning, gaming.  This leads to a lack of sleep, or more often, sleeping in school.

I HAVE fallen asleep in gym before.  The weight machine felt really comfortable at the time.

you're in high-school, I'm guessing? All you have to do is find classes you're interested in to do when (if?) you go to uni. That way, you'll be motivated to do stuff. They don't have to be easy, just interesting.

Exactly, you couldn't suck at skool if you were raised in a hyper-catholic family, cuz there would have been no games in your life

Yeah, but there'd still be distractions for them, like movies or music or reading the bible - no matter what you're into, that's what you're going to be doing when procrastinating from doing work.