Folding@home

Gryph

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just stupid...

Mr. G, be so nice and explain what's the deal with Folding@Home?

It was explained in the first few pages of this thread...but I'll explain it again.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project that folds and unfolds the tertiary structure of proteins. This helps scientists find out how each protein does it because all protein diseases are botched up tertiary structures. This knowledge will help scientists find remedies to many illnesses and conditions.

Maybe I'm just stupid...

It was explained in the first few pages of this thread...but I'll explain it again.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project that folds and unfolds the tertiary structure of proteins. This helps scientists find out how each protein does it because all protein diseases are botched up tertiary structures. This knowledge will help scientists find remedies to many illnesses and conditions.

Thank you for the explanation...So, everyone who folds is somehow connected to a super computer somewhere that does stuff with the tertiary structures or what? :)

Maybe I'm just stupid...

Thank you for the explanation...So, everyone who folds is somehow connected to a super computer somewhere that does stuff with the tertiary structures or what? :)

Not exactly. Our computers do the folding and then just sends the results after each Work Unit is done. So that's the only time it communicates with the Folding@home server.

• 2 weeks later...

Mathmaticly it's a little un-efficiant...

Better results are from leaving a couple of kick ass PCs on and lettign them scream there hard drives off in the process...

If something seems to good to be true it normaly is.

Sorry just a little skepticle on this. [plus my spelling is way of]

Mathmaticly it's a little un-efficiant...

Better results are from leaving a couple of kick ass PCs on and lettign them scream there hard drives off in the process...

If something seems to good to be true it normaly is.

Sorry just a little skepticle on this. [plus my spelling is way of]

Uh...you're wrong. How will they get better results from leaving a couple of kick ass PCs on vs. over a million folding@home users? The amount of computers needed to do what this distributed project does is beyond their budget. It's a private university project running on goverment grants and that does not allow massive spending. The only groups that can afford doing that are the government run labs (NIH and its branches) and private corporations (Celera, Genentech, etc.) which was done for the Human Genome Project.

And how is this too good to be true? It's not.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated this in a while so I am now.

Latest Stats:

Active CPUs within 50 days - 3

Team Id - 36271

Grand Score - 5638.5

Work Unit Count - 79

Team Ranking - 3528 of 32041

Thanks to K'dash for folding. The rest of you should try it out too.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I've completely forgotten about it. But it's always folding. Look at that bugger fold!