9600XT vs 9700

I'm going to upgrade my computer soon, the first time in 7 years (!). But I have really struck a major dilemma. What card is better? The 256 mb ATI Radeon 9600XT, just released, made by Sapphire? Or the 9700 128 mb?

The 9600 is $100 cheaper, but people are telling me it is just as good, and even better, than the 9700.

Any advice? Please help, because I can't decide, and if I keep on racking my brains over this one for much longer, my head is going to explode. It seems everyone has a different opinion!!!

Thanks alot in advance.

The 9600XT and a faster clock rate then the 9700 and is just as good as a 9700. The 128MB version of the cards is better then the 256 because it uses less bandwidth on the cards, which is better.

9700 uses the RV35 core and the 9600XT newer RV45 core, which also allows overclocking the core upto 40Mhz more without breaking the warrenty with the XT's "Overdrive" feature. And for one I dont trust Sapphire cards because they have a history of breaking down. Asus or the ATi generic cards or useally in the long run much better.

They're selling 9800Pros at Comp USA for $200 ($70instant, $30mail-in rebate). Or, try newegg and get a Saphire 9800Pro for around $200.

It costs a little extra, but you'll thank yourself in the end.

Or you could go for the 9800XT, 100 extra bucks for 5 frames per second.

BUT YOU MIGHT NEED THOSE EXTRA FIVE FRAMES! :-D