Need help with Rondo of blood

Gamefaqs was a little unclear. I've beaten the game, and I swear I rescued her around level 2.

Can someone walk me through the process like I'm 2 years old? When accessing the stage select I don't see an option for character. Mashing every key combination while in-game doesn't do jack. (I'm playing the PC engine version).

Any ideas? Should she be viewable on the stage select screen? I've been playing a few Castlevania games simultaneously, so now I'm second guessing if I actually rescued her or not (I seem to think you have to to advance to the next stage, no?)

Thanks for any help!

Alright, I saved Maria, completed stage 2 and let Richter die. You then get the option to either save & quit or player change. If you pick player change you will resume the game as Maria. If you pick save & quit you can then select the game you started and select stage where you want to begin and which player to use.

Playing as Maria is much more fun, I never liked that boring Richter <_<.

Edit: You don't have to save Maria, you can simply go on to the next stage.

Edited by Sane

I certainly died enough times to know I never saw a "player change" option. I guess I must have missed her. Looks like I'll be replaying level 2!

Thanks for checking. I assumed I was overlooking something simple--I guess I was--saving Maria! <_<

On level two when the behemoth chases you one of the candles hold a key. Get it. Then by the merman's area you will see a locked door and open it. A movie will start up. You see Shaft (no not the Bad Mutha *****, the dark priest) casting a spell on Maria. Then you save her. You start to talk to Maria. She swears to be a Vampire Hunter for the rest of her life. Then Die and Save and switch characters. :lol:

Edited by DanManXZ

Thanks! I got Maria and proceeded to sleepwalk my way to the end. Holy cr@p is she powerful! That "dark maria" move is devistating. Double jump--invincible with a turtle...Maria rocks!

Makes the game waaaay too easy though.