Jump to content

sdl2 update : raine might still work with windows xp !


Tux
 Share

Recommended Posts

Apparently there was a bug with recent versions of SDL2 which prevented it from working with xp. I updated SDL2 to 2.24.1 in the 0.92x dlls packages, you can test that if you want now, but a recompilation of the raine binary might be needed for that, so you'll have to wait for next version. It's worth testing if you are curious anyway ! (I can't test xp here).

Also there is a very annoying bug which was fixed apparently which prevented from running the 32 bits executable of raine from a mingw terminal, not tested yet for this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I told you about it months ago but I think you were upset that it didn't work so good...yes there is a problem and here too:

2022-10-23_114701.png.189493d31e33feccbca1826226bb5e59.png

only these dlls work without worries: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jn8bf6 (or permanent)
I will therefore test with the recompilation of the binary (when it will be available) because for the moment it does not work (with the 94.7 of October 16).

I remind you that I test under xp THAT to bring you this kind of thing, I use other OS ;-)

Edited by pmc2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pmc2 said:

I told you about it months ago but I think you were upset that it didn't work so good...yes there is a problem and here too:

2022-10-23_114701.png.189493d31e33feccbca1826226bb5e59.png

only these dlls work without worries: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jn8bf6 (or permanent)
I will therefore test with the recompilation of the binary (when it will be available) because for the moment it does not work (with the 94.7 of October 16).

I remind you that I test under xp THAT to bring you this kind of thing, I use other OS ;-)

I would have been curious to check your sendspace link, but for I don't know which reason it just doesn't work with my firefox here, the screen flashes briefly and that's all, it's not a popup, it's just a javascript mess apparently... !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried with chrome, it tried to force me to install an extension... !!! Total bullshit, I'll avoid this link, I'll try to find something else...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, normally it's fixed, you have a new 32 bits dlls package.

To give some more details, this RegLoadMUIStringW function is linked to a new api incompatible with xp, normally the dlls are built without it, but with all the dependencies sometimes something slips by. Here it was libglib-2.0 which was using this, and it's not used directly by raine !

I found an old version to replace it which doesn't have this function, it requires its own libgcc dll, so there are now 2 libgcc dlls in dlls32-0.92x !

Oh well... I won't bother with the 64 bits version unless someone really needs it.

Normally you should be able to test that without a new binary since raine doesn't use this function directly.

(and I finally noticed your permanent link with 1 minute of wait time, use mega instead of this, it's less crazy, it also contains a libglib-2.0-0.dl which uses this RegLoadMUIW function, so it's quite surprising you can use that ! Anyway the new package should be better).

dlls32-0.92x.7z

2022/10/23

Edited by Tux
Link to comment
Share on other sites

re,

I confirm that it works with this new pack.

Just for my personal information, I see that there are several more dlls here, are they useful insofar as there was no need for them before?

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pmc2 said:

re,

I confirm that it works with this new pack.

Just for my personal information, I see that there are several more dlls here, are they useful insofar as there was no need for them before?

thanks

It's curl which is the most annoying with its dependancies, there are a lot of protocols in there which are totally useless in raine, but it's annoying to build it from sources and disable what's not needed, it's much easier to use binary packages but if you do that you get all the dependencies.

Well usually I test the dlls by removing all of them in linux (with wine), trying to launch raine until I don't get any message about any missing dlls, yeah I know it's quite annoying to need that many, curse the binary packages... !

It's possible to get rid of a lot of them by building from sources, but it would have to be redone each time an update is needed. Normally these dlls shouldn't be updated except sdl2, but you never know. By the way the latest version of sdl2-image has a problem with our logo (it doesn't support indexed pictures anymore directly and I absolutely need the palette here to make the color animation you can see in the about dialog). So sdl2-image is not updated and will not be updated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried ppmc2's 2 links, there was no problems, I was able to download the files with no trouble.

I used Firefox 105.0.3, with uBlock Origin installed (you absolutely must have this, to be even halfway safe on the internet).

Sendspace had a tick (I am not a robot), followed by a captcha.

Uptobox has a premium or free download, you must wait 1 minute for the countdown to end then click the free link twice.

I won't use Chrome, as I regard it as spyware, even though it runs a lot faster than Firefox..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I tried ppmc2's 2 links, there was no problems, I was able to download the files with no trouble.

I used Firefox 105.0.3, with uBlock Origin installed (you absolutely must have this, to be even halfway safe on the internet).

Sendspace had a tick (I am not a robot), followed by a captcha.

Uptobox has a premium or free download, you must wait 1 minute for the countdown to end then click the free link twice.

I won't use Chrome, as I regard it as spyware, even though it runs a lot faster than Firefox..

Yeah I don't use chrome usually neither, I installed it specifically to test here (and that reminds me that I need to uninstall it !).

The reason might be an extension I have which allows to bypass most of the captchas "I'm not a robot", privacy pass it's called, it's there : https://privacypass.github.io/

1st time I see a problem coming from it... And I still don't have ublock origin because it's an old setup and originally it didn't exist, so I still have adblock+ + privacy badger, works great so far even if some say it's not super optimal, so I don't change !

Anyway the 2nd link worked for me too, it was just this stupid countdown of 1 minute for a 5 Mb file which was crazy, you don't have something like that on mega.nz, and probably on most of the other space providers of this kind.

But thanks for the comment ! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...