Suggestion Feature Favorite Game List

Augusto

Hello Tux and Raine users.
I see good improvements being done in Raine.

Raine has an good game list allowing correct scroll.
An Favorites Game List is an good feature.
I not understand if is simple to coding adding it.

Have an nice week.

Hello Augusto! I like this idea, especially because we generally have much more roms than time to play them, unfortunately. So we generally end up playing just a few games and, in my case, mostly the same ones.

But instead of a "favorites" game list, what do you think about a "Recent ROMs" or "Recent files" list being placed right below the "Options" in the Rom selection menu? Then as soon as we opened a new rom it would show in this "folder" and the folder would automatically place at the top the most recently played game.

Here are some examples of how some emulators have introduced this feature:
https://imgur.com/a/Y13qvNf

Let's see what Tux thinks about this! 👍

Edited by mer-curious

• 3 weeks later...

I am not super convinced for now, you should at least know the names of the games you prefer, and then accessing them in the list is very fast by typing the 1st letters of their names.

Adding some code to count either the number of times a game was used or even worse for the gui a separate list for favorited stuff would be quite some work, and not sure it's worth it. It could be interesting to keep some info on how many times/how much time a game was played though, I just have to think of something to display it without overloading what is already displayed, plus then test how / where to save this info (every time a game is changed / the emulator window is closed, then in which config file).
So well, not so easy, maybe later, I'll think about that.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

On 2nd thought I can have these stats and merge them in the game selection dialog without too much trouble, I'll try that soon (the rain is back in the area, it helps a lot !).

• Like 1

Ok done. The game selection dialog now displays the 5 most played games at the top (in the header, which is now separated more clearly from the main dialog), sorted by play time. The number of times a game is loaded and how much time it's played are tracked (watching the game intro behind the menu is not considered playing time !), and it's tracked even if you close the window without using the quit command.

All this is saved in a new file "stats" in the savedata directory, the contents is ascii but it's not supposed to be edited by the user. Games stats are stored by the short name of the game, which means that if a game is renamed for its short name the stats are lost (it happens almost never in raine anyway).

Neocd games are not supported, only arcade games (well neocd games are not even loaded from this dialog so it would be quite a problem, and they don't have a real short name), the picture behind the game selection dialog is not updated when selecting one of this favorite games in the header because it's not worth the effort and it would make some duplicate code, and I don't like that. 5 only for now, because the header doesn't handle any scrolling bar and can't scroll its content, it should be enough for a start anyway.

I'll test this a little more, but it seems good now (fixed some bugs related to the header display at the same time).

Edited by Tux
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...