Raine 0.93.1 !

Tux

Well I had to redownload this to test, no problem here. Try the version from gametronik, a little long to download though, the audio tracks are in wav, I converted them to ogg once downloaded and tested, start 1, default character, story mode, won the 1st fight, stopped here.

3 hours ago, pmc2 said:

samsho4 ncd  I wanted to say

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:
0.93.1a installing fluently under Arch with your provided pkgbuild.

Thank you Tux.

Yeah when you see a "a" at the end of the version number it's that I forgot something at the very last minute, this time it was a new bitmap for the window big icon, which is actually rarely used, it's a blue bub from bubble and bobble with just more resolution, even if you almost never see it, it's nice to have it !

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:38 PM, Neville said:

I'm seeing a few glitches in SSF2T, not sure if they were here before. Using the x86 Windows version.

BPuTeHR.jpg

I didn't find this specific problem yet, but I found 2 other issues :

some problems with some cheats in this game which trigger an error about an unknown variable, it's a conversion error from the xml original, it's fixed for the games which could be affected (quite a few).

And I suddenly realized that despite this game has a resolution very close to a 16:9 one (384x224), it was actually displayed on a 4:3 screen...
So I changed the "fix aspect ratio to 4:3" option which was only yes or no before, yes fixing the ratio to 4:3 when it was very close to 4:3, now it's "no", "close" (which is the yes from before), and "always" which forces the aspect ratio to 4:3 no matter what.
It's right that the display is better for this game using a 4:3 ratio, I didn't notice because I almost never play this... !

It's not the case for all the cps2 games though, I remember seeing a machine using a big 16:9 screen once.

And actually this option didn't really work at least for the sdl2 version, but maybe it had been broken for longer than that, nobody noticed because the correction was very light before, now you really see it in action when it forces this game to 4:3...

Anyway... !

Edited by Tux

Well, glad to be of help, even if it was unintentionally.

Another couple of small things I've noticed in the Windows x86 build...

- Aliens vs Predator MAME / FB Neo set won't load. I know, I know, nobody said Raine was fully compatible with those sets. However, it can load most CPS1 / CPS2 sets and not this one. Weird.

- Now, this is specific. Load Super Pang, then try loading Mighty Pang and Raine crashes.

10 hours ago, Neville said:

Well, glad to be of help, even if it was unintentionally.

Another couple of small things I've noticed in the Windows x86 build...

- Aliens vs Predator MAME / FB Neo set won't load. I know, I know, nobody said Raine was fully compatible with those sets. However, it can load most CPS1 / CPS2 sets and not this one. Weird.

- Now, this is specific. Load Super Pang, then try loading Mighty Pang and Raine crashes.

For super pang / mighty pang, it's not that specific, it's because it had been so long since I added some new sound chips that I forgot a part of it, an order of things which must be maintained, otherwise you get this kind of crash. At least it's easy to fix !
For avsp, for me it's the same, at least compared to mame 232, the only difference being that the key file is not required in raine since it's in the source, and anyway if your rom is bad you can let raine get it from the internet archive !

Edited by Tux

Hey Tux! Talking about FBNeo, I once inquired the FBNeo team about an option to set the aspect ratio in the Retroarch FBNeo core. The developers replied me that virtually every CPS1, 2 and 3 game is 4:3. You can take a look at the discussion here: https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/issues/366

So now that you changed something related to the aspect ratio this reminded me of that issue I opened in the FBNeo GitHub page. So, is it wrong to display these CPS games in 16:9 in terms of emulation accuracy? Maybe what Raine does is show them in integer scaling and then I'm misunderstanding it as 16:9?

Anyway, except that, I just wanted to let you know that the button mapping is working pretty fine for my crazy Saturn adapter as far as I've tested. To be a little picky, just the message in the third line is slightly cut in the 640x480 window size, as you see below:

https://imgur.com/a/mkRhUuR

But I don't know how you could fix that except by reducing the font size? 🤔

Also, you could capitalize the option "d-pad for movement" just to match the capitalization of the other options in this menu.

Well, just some cosmetic details due to my brief testing of this new version.

Thank you so much for your continuing work.

PS: by the way, the load-state error message which we discussed privately is gone indeed.

6 hours ago, Tux said:

For super pang / mighty pang, it's not that specific, it's because it had been so long since I added some new sound chips that I forgot a part of it, an order of things which must be maintained, otherwise you get this kind of crash. At least it's easy to fix !
For avsp, for me it's the same, at least compared to mame 232, the only difference being that the key file is not required in raine since it's in the source, and anyway if your rom is bad you can let raine get it from the internet archive !

Understood. As I said, these are minor concerns. I only reported them because I thought they could be symptoms of bigger issues. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, mer-curious said:

Hey Tux! Talking about FBNeo, I once inquired the FBNeo team about an option to set the aspect ratio in the Retroarch FBNeo core. The developers replied me that virtually every CPS1, 2 and 3 game is 4:3. You can take a look at the discussion here: https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/issues/366

So now that you changed something related to the aspect ratio this reminded me of that issue I opened in the FBNeo GitHub page. So, is it wrong to display these CPS games in 16:9 in terms of emulation accuracy? Maybe what Raine does is show them in integer scaling and then I'm misunderstanding it as 16:9?

There's nothing wrong or right about that, it's more a question of taste, some people love to fill the black border of a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen even if it kills the ratio, it doesn't change anything for the emulation, it's comparable to these buttons behind the cabinet to stretch the picture.
Eventually you could try to get the same conditions as for the original arcade cabinet, but it's hard to get the information of the screen size for all of them. I got it for ssft2, I confirm this one is 4:3, and 1944 too (although 1944 looks very good in 16:9 in my opinion !). From memory the one I saw using a 16:9 screen was a marvel super heroes game, not sure which one though, it was in London, and it was quite a long time ago already... !
Actually ssft2 displayed in 16:9 reminds me of "super gem fighters" from capcom too, they just increased the "flat" effect for super gem fighters !
Maybe there is something more to learn about that, because standard resolution in these days was more like 320x224 or 320x240, that is a solid 4:3 resolution, 384x224 like here is quite far from that, so even if it can be displayed fine on a 4:3 screen, they probably choose such a resolution because they thought about using some 16:9 screens... but I don't know anything about that, just guessing.

Anyway adding that is probably a good idea, it's quite astonishing the difference it can make.

This function could make some games look ridiculous, if you use it on those ultra wide games like darius or darius2, it will look ridiculous.

Anyway, except that, I just wanted to let you know that the button mapping is working pretty fine for my crazy Saturn adapter as far as I've tested. To be a little picky, just the message in the third line is slightly cut in the 640x480 window size, as you see below:

https://imgur.com/a/mkRhUuR

Well it's just a message which was printed on the console by the original program (if you have a console, so I guess you missed it completely in windows !). They did it like that, I didn't change anything about it, it's better to see it, even if you see a part of it, you can always resize your window, you can even do it while the message box is displayed, but I think it won't display more characters if you do it while it's already displayed !

But I don't know how you could fix that except by reducing the font size? 🤔

You can try that, min font size setting is for that, but if you put that too low it will become quite unreadable, and it's useless since you can simply switch to a higher resolution.

Also, you could capitalize the option "d-pad for movement" just to match the capitalization of the other options in this menu.

Ok, ok, just did it, it's funny how you are sensible to this kind of detail... !

Well, just some cosmetic details due to my brief testing of this new version.

Thank you so much for your continuing work.

PS: by the way, the load-state error message which we discussed privately is gone indeed.

Good to know ! :)

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1