Xbox soft mod questions.

mclebron23

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify some terms; a "mod" simply means altering the hardware or software of the Xbox in order to run unsigned code (i.e. anything other than Xbox games and DVDs). The mod itself does not put any programs, emulators, or games on your Xbox, it just makes it able to run them. Once an Xbox has been modded you then download whatever programs/emulators/games you want and then you install those yourself afterwards. It's fair enough if you want to pay someone to do the mod itself, but if you want them to install additional software for you then you're always going to be limited by whatever they give you and you're depriving yourself of the opportunity to customise your Xbox with the programs that best suit you.

the xbox in that vid was tsop (which i broke :P) that was already modified with a 120gig hard drive when i got it. i bypassed the eeprom with a new doux chip and now the box works great. that's not even my xbox with every bell & whistle. my white xbox has everything that i want. i highly suggest that you have xbmc (xbox media center) as your dash (loading operating system). then you can access the emulators from that. xbmc also does a whole lot more. :)

To clarify some terms; a "mod" simply means altering the hardware or software of the Xbox in order to run unsigned code (i.e. anything other than Xbox games and DVDs). The mod itself does not put any programs, emulators, or games on your Xbox, it just makes it able to run them. Once an Xbox has been modded you then download whatever programs/emulators/games you want and then you install those yourself afterwards. It's fair enough if you want to pay someone to do the mod itself, but if you want them to install additional software for you then you're always going to be limited by whatever they give you and you're depriving yourself of the opportunity to customise your Xbox with the programs that best suit you.

I would do it myself if I had a clue as to howto do it. But I dont. The guy who is doing it or me on ISOzone will be using xbmc, and I told him to have as much emulators as possible with all games, So how would that be worse than doing it myself? Thanks

Mike

XBMC is a great place to start and a fantastic dashboard. But the guy modding your system can only be expected to put so much on there for you. There are many, many emulators, each supporting thousands of games. If he's going to install CoinOPS for you then that's an ok place to start, since it does have support for various arcade and console systems and the selection of games contains most of the more popular ones, but if you're at all serious about getting the most out of your emulation then, eventually, you're going to want to learn how to put more emulators and/or more games on there yourself. There are many tutorials around and people here are also very knowledgeable and helpful if you have any questions.

XBMC is a great place to start and a fantastic dashboard. But the guy modding your system can only be expected to put so much on there for you. There are many, many emulators, each supporting thousands of games. If he's going to install CoinOPS for you then that's an ok place to start, since it does have support for various arcade and console systems and the selection of games contains most of the more popular ones, but if you're at all serious about getting the most out of your emulation then, eventually, you're going to want to learn how to put more emulators and/or more games on there yourself. There are many tutorials around and people here are also very knowledgeable and helpful if you have any questions.

Ok, thanks for telling me. It would be good to learn how to do it on my own eventually. Heres one of his xbox's on the marketplace on ISOzone...http://theisozone.com/market/items/item-1f5332c457/ He has a list of all the emulators he installs. What do you think?

BTW. I decided to wait until Coinops5 releases. Do you have any idea when its getting release? I know its soon. Also, lets say I bought the guys xbox with Coinops4 HD installed, would it be easy to upgrade to Coinops5 or if I have Coinops4, then I'm screwed? Thanks

putting a emulator on the xbox is actually quite easy once you can connect correctly to your network. do you know what 'ftp' is? (file transfer protocol) once you get a good ftp program (i use flash fxp) than transfering emu's to the the xbox is a snap. (depends on the file size). when transfering a emu, example: neogenesis(sega genesis/32x/sega cd emu), you take the folder then put into your emu folder that xbmc is looking at (or what ever folder you use for emu's). it's very similar to moving folders on a pc. you won't need to do any pc-like install. you may/will need to set up a few things like rom location, box art, screen shots and etc.

i'll let +T+ answer the coinops question as i don't use any updated versions. i stopped at coinops epic r9 (1.5+ years old version) due to certain issues... but that's not important right now.

That list seems pretty extensive. Seems like you'll have a lot of options, so once you have it experiment with the various emulators and see which suit you the best. On the whole that sounds like a decent start-up package, but again I'll stress the merits of being able to install/update these programs yourself.

I have no idea when the next CoinOPS is being released since I don't use it at all myself. CoinOPS tends to be released as an unfeasibly large full-package download (50Gb+ if memory serves) and the file and folder structure has always been a complete mess. So even if upgrading were possible, I suspect it would be too much of a headache to bother. If it's important to you to have the latest version, then I would suggest waiting until it's released.

On a side note, it's been frequently threatened by the author of CoinOPS that he will possibly insert code that "punishes" users that have other emulators installed. This is probably just an empty threat because he's rather infamous in the scene for being completely insane, but I've no idea if any of this nonsense might be added to CoinOPS"5". I'm not trying to put the frighteners on you, I just feel it only fair to mention it as a possible reason to stick with the current release.