How long does it take for gasoline to go stale?

Shibathedog

tell us more stuff cinder

Like what? I know a fair bit about cars, motorcycles and other small engine vehicles. And Electronics.

Beyond that...not much. I can ARC and MIG weld, can't do TIG.

Hmm does one even need to know anything beyond cars/motorcycles/electronics and welding?

Pro-Tip - Welding a gas tank full of gas is easy. Run a hose from your exhaust with the car running into the gas tank...and weld away. Well, in theory...and I've seen it done, but I wouldn't do it!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell us more stuff cinder

Pro-Tip - Welding a gas tank full of gas is easy. Run a hose from your exhaust with the car running into the gas tank...and weld away. Well, in theory...and I've seen it done, but I wouldn't do it!

Screw that. :)

Hmm.

Well I do know for certain you should have started it up at least once a week. If you let it sit for too long, gas is not your only problem.

Nope, sure ain't. When I put my car back on the road, perfectly good parts had gone bad from sitting. I had to replace a wheel cylinder(Rear driver brakes) and a hub assembly (Rear passenger wheel bearing).

Funny thing...took me 10 minutes total to do both, parts $110. Parts a bit more at mechanic, but over $275 in labor...an hour to change that wheel bearing that took me (I shit you not) FIVE minutes! Quote was well over $400.

In all fairness, the quote was book...but is obviously based on pressed bearings, which mine are not!

Learn to fix your own shit people, save yourself LOTS of money!

Hmm.

Well I do know for certain you should have started it up at least once a week. If you let it sit for too long, gas is not your only problem.

Nope, sure ain't. When I put my car back on the road, perfectly good parts had gone bad from sitting. I had to replace a wheel cylinder(Rear driver brakes) and a hub assembly (Rear passenger wheel bearing).

Funny thing...took me 10 minutes total to do both, parts $110. Parts a bit more at mechanic, but over $275 in labor...an hour to change that wheel bearing that took me (I shit you not) FIVE minutes! Quote was well over $400.

In all fairness, the quote was book...but is obviously based on pressed bearings, which mine are not!

Learn to fix your own shit people, save yourself LOTS of money!

Im ok with a 2 stroke bike and can do some work on cars, im not too bad but nothing special.

I let my car sit for well over a year. Like a dumb ass I didnt even try to turn the engine after a month or so, I got lazy. What happened, is all the oil settled and the seals dried out. At the end I was leaking oil, transmission fluid AND power steering fluid. Although the power steering fluid was leaky before I let it sit... I dont think letting it sit made it worse. But to be leaking 3 types of fluid... sadly hilarious

I feel much shame in regards to that car, it was given to me as a gift. It was a Thunderbird, cant remember the year. It was a 1 owner car and he took excellent care of it. I remember driving home from work the first week, and accidentally peeled out a bit when I hit the gas from a stop. Thing had some power, I was surprised.

I miss that car.