Study Time

Krosigrim

With my new job at GameStop, I want to increase my gaming knowledge. My weak point is Sports and Family games, not to mention my ignorance in games that I dub shitty.

I will begin to go through the mountain of titles at work and pay attention to everything. I will be on GameSpot for some time going over alot of material. I also intend to know at any given point what is going to come out and when. I also want to start paying attention to the companies: who made what. For instance a guy at work was telling me about Demon's Souls on the PS3, turns out its from Atlus, the same Co. who made Persona and Ogre Battle. See, my point. I was going to say Front Mission but all I see is Square/Enix. I thought it went through Atlus but I cannot find any reference.

Plain and simple, I want to expand my knowledge to insane amounts. I wish to BE that guy who knows everything.

Alot of this wont be "fun" but grinding never really is, it's the end result your excited about. HAHA I'll be grinding in real life... great! What level am I know???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Front Mission has always been developed by Square Enix, save Evolved which was outsourced to Double Helix Games (a western dev of Silent Hill: Homecoming fame) and the first, which was developed by G-Craft. As far as Ogre Battle (PlayStation version) goes, Atlus didn't develop it, just published it for the US market. The original SNES version was published by Enix.

In the same vein, Atlus didn't develop Demon's Souls either, merely published it.

Perfect. My point exactly. I need to know what a company merely published or actually developed. I dont often pay attn. to these kinds of things and so, I am ignorant.

I for the life of me dont know why I thought Front Mission went through Atlus.

Anyway, knowledge like this is one of the things I want to absorb. Since there are so many companies and I am such a novice in this regard... I have alot of work.

the guy who knows to much about shit is always the most annoying one to deal with. don't be that guy Will. specialize in what you love. release dates are simple to look up in the system so no need to jam your brain with a years worth of dates.

Very very good advice. I do not want to be annoying. In fact, it is one of my primary concerns. I tend... to be a bit of a know it all and thats pretty annoying. So what your saying Inky, LOL, is dont be as aggravating as I am here

But I dont know it all, Im just saying. Knowing is different than being a know it all. I want to achieve understanding. If I have a solid foundation, I will have an easier time connecting the dots so to speak. I just got to know how to come off, as I talk too much and spew irrelevant information.

Yea looking things up is simple, cramming my head with worthless info that get overridden month to month might be kind of a pain. Although I do want to know if something is pushed back, when it hits press. I definitely want to know what perks come with preordering whatever games. My brother in law got agitated as he had issues with one guy not telling him about a special bundle for the new Call of Duty. When he found out he had to switch things up.

I do want to be able to have a basic understanding about who develops what, publishes what. I will own what I know and love, but still want to be able to know my products, even if just alittle.

So back to me being annoying. Im sure I have annoyed enough people on this forum alone. Crushing walls of text, know it all attitude, etc. I dont want to be overbearing. I want to be approachable, polite, witty and informative but concise.

OK that all said.

Agozer.

You often display gaming knowledge. Generally speaking, do you look this info up or is it off the top of your head. The publisher issue as example.

in reality I don't think anyone gives a damn about publishers and developers.

no one is gonna come in and ask for "that game that was developed by flying squirrel nuts and published by ninja boob puncher"

staying up on news should be as easy as reading a few blogs every day. Joystik, Kotaku, ect. if you know that stuff you'll be light years ahead of the average customer and employee.

I'm sure they have some kind of memo or news letter on release dates since they expect you to push preorders down the throats of everyone who comes in.

OK that all said.

Agozer.

You often display gaming knowledge. Generally speaking, do you look this info up or is it off the top of your head. The publisher issue as example.

Often both, unless I'm absolutely certain without a shadow of a doubt that something is the way I remember it.

I for the life of me dont know why I thought Front Mission went through Atlus.

Well, you weren't completely off. Atlus publishes a lot of the non-mainstream JRPGs in the west.

in reality I don't think anyone gives a damn about publishers and developers.

Not caring about publishers, very likely. Most gamers do however, care a great deal about who developed a given game or a series of games, especially if it's a well-established series.

Case in point: Silent Hill. Also, if there were ever any rumors (or a solid confirmation, god forbid) that the next Final Fantasy was being developed by someone other than Square Enix, all hell would break loose.

My whole point for knowing developers/publishers, was to have that knowledge for myself. To be able to identify a companies work. Might sound ridiculous but the more I know and realize, the more I can connect the dots.

so, Agozer. How is it you know what you know? Do you just always pay attention to developers/publishers? Do you often go to companies websites and read about their products? I actually intend to be somewhat familiar with many companies websites. I am going to be paying attention to factors I didnt before.

Just so I can know more. Plain and simple. It's not different than what I do normally. I like to know stuff. I watch History Channel, Science Channel, Documentaries, How to programs, Mythbusters Etc etc etc. I like knowing stuff. So for gaming, itll be easier still.

so, Agozer. How is it you know what you know? Do you just always pay attention to developers/publishers? Do you often go to companies websites and read about their products?

I read. A lot.

Yes. This is more or less linked to the fact that I'm a PAL gamer - this region has been shafted for decades when it comes to video game releases, so I've had to dig up as much information as possible about release dates, publisher/developer intentions and interactions, conversion specifics and the like in the hopes of getting to play a particular video game sometime in the future. Sure, things have improved tremendously now that we've got these HD consoles and all, but craving for more information hasn't really subsided.

Sometimes, but mostly the first tidbits come from various aggregator sites. While company sites do like to showcase the new titles, they're often filled with too much marketing speech and gimmicks (and flashy Flash animations) to be of use as a veritable information source (considering the things I want to know). There are exceptions, of course.

While company sites do like to showcase the new titles, they're often filled with too much marketing speech and gimmicks (and flashy Flash animations) to be of use as a veritable information source (considering the things I want to know). There are exceptions, of course.

Indeed. I have often wanted to find out about something, hit the site, then end up being disappointed as all I see is flashy marketing. Nothing pertaining to what I want to know.

Well thats cool, the aspect that you know this stuff, not the reason for it of course. I'll be reading up and getting familiar with anything I can think of.