How in the fuck does a rotary shaver work?

Shibathedog

So I had to shave my beard completely off for my new job (lame) and I decided to try one of these rotary shavers. I have used a regular razor and the foil/straight type electric razors and both worked fine (In fact the electric one worked just as well, maybe I just had a good one, I only tried that once) but I can't get this rotary to work at all. Every time I shave there is always stubble, it seems like no matter what I do I can't get it all and I can't get a close shave. I'm constantly stuck with a little more than 5 o'clock shadow which is no good at all. I tried everything from pressing as lightly as possible to jamming it into my face (50 blades at 3000 RPM in my face!), going up and down, in circles, etc. and nothing works. Is there a video somewhere or some advice someone can give me that will teach me how to use this damn thing? I'm about to just give up and go buy some disposables but I was trying to save money >_<

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 electric shavers (2 foil and 1 rotary) and they all do a shit job. All those commercials showing guys getting "babies ass" shaves with electric shavers are 100% bullshit, they do not come close enough to the skin to do it.

Those "models" have no hair on their faces anyway...too much androgynous estrogen going on in their "metrosexual" bodies to grow anything but peach fuzz lmao

Stick to a real razor if you want a close shave, electrics are TEH LIE.

Well the foil one I had wasn't bad, but you are probably right. I just don't get how this thing could do such a massively shitty job yet it passed quality testing. It wasn't very cheap either. I was thinking about buying a nice straight razor but I'll probably cut myself up pretty bad before I learn how to use it.

My electric always does a shit job and I'm not even that stubbly. (I got a really good one too a phillip shave with three head thingys)

It can take a while for your grain to adjust to your electric.

i can go over the same spot for a minute and still miss a few here and there.

I used fusion thing last week one with 4 blades and i couldn't believe how smooth my chin was. i cut my self twice, but dam was that smooth shave!

I use the cheap ass Mac 2 or blue two as they are known with a little bit of patience you can get shit hot results for next to nothing price, the straight razor is a bad idea in my opinion.

And i cant stress the importance of pre heating your stubble for it to slide off!

I shave in the shower, run my face under the hot water and even after not shaving for days my coarse hair comes off like butter doing this. No cream or anything required, so I'm saving my cheap ass money too.

I just shave up to a certain point, like below where I trim my sideburns to (Or to a lack thereof) and finish up the tiny bit left infront of the mirror.

^ Hot water and a good razor.

;)

I used to get my haircut once a month and this chick used to trim my sideburns so fecking neat! Now I cant even afford a dam haircut once a month - my sideburns and hair are as bad as they have ever been. :(

I have enver got the hang of styling my sideburns. I just end up making them look worse.

I used to have something going on like the guy in this picture, except my hair was really long and my beard didn't look like pubes. I also didn't have a mustache and my sideburns/part of beard was a bit wider. lol this is the closest pic I could find without going on an internet scavenger hunt.

1987-men-beard.jpg

Now my hair is like an inch and a half long, and I have no facial hair at all, I feel much less manly. I was hoping the straight razor would make up for that. I looked into what kinds to buy and all that and found some really nice vintage ones in good condition, but when I watched some videos of people using them it kinda freaked me out a bit. My beard hair grows in all different directions but somehow ends up going straight down. I'm not sure if that would work with a straight razor.

Like you guys said, I guess it's back to disposables. Either that or I can try a safety razor. At least that's somewhat manlier than plastic disposables.

^ Hot water and a good razor.

I would have to agree. I've never gotten a close shave from electric razors either, which wouldn't bother me except for the fact most of them gave an uneven cut on top of that. I've had pretty good luck with the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, the nice thing about it is there is a moisturizing strip built-on that makes it easier to shave against the grain to get a really close shave.

At any rate though, I would definitely avoid any cheap disposables... I've tried several brands before and they can cut your face up pretty bad.

Edited by VT-Vincent

When you let it grow like that best thing is a good beard trimmer, and then a wet shave. Or just use the trimmer to make some designer stubble.