No Dedicated Servers for CoD:MW2

Lucandrake

I haven't touched CoD since its first sequel. Not for any particular reason, I just haven't been into the FPS scene for a long time (the amount of frat boyism in it is amazing).

Anyways, IW (InfinityWard) has stated that there will be no dedicated servers or modding abilities in their latest release. A shitty move for PC gamers considering that the sole reason games as old as UT99 and Q3 are still alive today are these two things right here.

Reason as to why they're doing it: So that the line between console and pc becomes thinner.

Theores include: Now you have to buy maps (DLC) in order to play them

Acti-Bliz want to kill the competitive scene (as to why I don't know)

Acti-Bliz are money grubbing whores (as if they don't get enough already from all of their franchises).

Take your pick. It bothers me even if I don't really plan on getting it because it will effect future games I might decide to get. If this proves a succesful business practice then it'll become the standard. Activision Ceo The Devil has even made comments instructing the industry on how to turn a $60 game into a something that expands into $500 between dlc and gear, like GH. A game that was amazing on its first two releases is now something as stale as poo.

Link

Anyways, the online petition is up to 80,000 sigs in under 2 days. Won't change much but I see a lot of comments that go a long the line of "canceling pre-order".

If you were going to purchase this game for either of these things (which will surprise if you didn't, who the hell plays single-player FPS?), then I advise you to rethink it. Their new "matchmaking" system will rely on a Peer 2 Peer network. Which has a thousand problems I wont begin to describe, just ask someone to let you play online with their 360 or Ps3 and you'll see what I mean.

Hmmm, not sure how this will impact me as most of my COD mates are local mates.

Still, not going to purchase this yet as my priorities are Tekken 6, GOW Collection and Fallout 3 GOTY.

Forcing people to buy DLC/downloadable content is pretty much a ripoff.

They couldve at least realized how much MMORPG gamers get gouged already, with all the downloadable updates and monthly subscriptions. If anything, its MMOs that are more definite cash cows, not FPS games.

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

Just look at WoW for proof of that. What started off as $15.00 a month and a $20.00 one buy is now a $80.00 purchase, $15.00 for monthly, and then a bunch of other options (like 25.00 for server transfer, or name change, or character remake).

They've actually gone on record to say that they're considering some gear payments in the future. Shit's getting hardcore with the dough.

There's a petition going around trying to get them to give us dedicated servers back but it's not working even with like 120,000+ signatures.

Everyone hates how their trying to change pc gaming so do I but who knows their matchmaking might be good on PC.

A little update. They DO plan on making DLC-content on PC (meaning that the lack of modders on the scene/dedicated servers, will only force what the PC consumer is used to, to change to what the console gamers now do). I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to fucking despise DLC. The majority of the companies aren't doing it right at all, and only using it as a means to increase the amount of $$$ you have to pay before you get a complete game.

Then there is the entire thing going on with the price tag in Europe. You guys are getting shafted 10 more Euro because of the price hike. Considering inflation, now add the DLC content money you will eventually pay for to get 3 more maps. Say they add a campaign (a whole campaign, an example of DLC done right, GTAIV) for $20. But since its Activision, $10 only gets you the first chapter, out of five. The last one was hypothetical (and an extreme case), but know that I called it if it happens. Still doesn't change the fact that you ended up wasting over $75 with dlc on one game.

This is the PC consumer, and one of the reasons why I love piracy so much, it gives the consumer a way of fighting these actions that is louder than any petition (with 100k signatures). Or unites the fan boys to produce REAL action towards the companies that abuse the loyal (think about it, CoD wouldn't be a franchise today if it wasn't for the PC release of CoD). Now go to any forum, you will see a bunch of console-only gamers being thankful that their PC-counterparts are being shafted. They're enjoying it, like a dog would enjoy watching a slave be thrown into the same shed, instead of fighting the one responsible for it, the dog laughs and ends up blaming the slave for all of his problems. Good job "hard-core" gamers, instead of canceling your pre-order and demanding console-online-multiplayer be fixed to a point that resembles PC, you cry hero at the true villain and proclaim victory. You fucking retards.

One last bit of "news", Infinity Ward has responded to the 100k signed petition by stating that they're "considering" the petition and are looking over it. Good read a textbook on basic psychology, the only thing they're doing is giving those that usually feel ignored attention. These petitions usually are ignored, but now that this one hasn't been, no one will give a damn because its "being" considered. There doesn't have to be any action done by Activision now to satisfy a good chunk of the petition signers, they have just to say more pretty words and eventually the gamers will succumb in a fashion resembling Stockholm syndrome. For those of you still hoping that "evil" Activision (its a business, but gaming is passion, lets see what happens to the movie industry and the music industry when its business too) will eventually change the way they do things, keep fighting in whatever way you see fit, maybe one day it will change.

I meant to just write two lines lol.

You get to play as a terrorist in CoD:MW2 on one of the levels mowing down civilians in an airport.

Ok, now I have your attention, first, I'm not making two CoD threads so I'm posting an update in this one. Second, despite my hatred for the game in the multiplayer department, I hope that its new ballsy move (ignoring the obvious free media recognition/advertisement it's getting) will help smack those who prefer censorship over liberation of voice. The links are under but to sum it up in a few lines.

During one of the levels of CoD:MW2 you will get to play as a C.I.A operative that infiltrated a terrorist organization. Your so deep into it that you participate during one of their planned attacks (inside of an airport mowing down civilians). During the sequence you will be allowed to participate in the spree (or just follow the terrorists while watching). IW has stated that the entire level can be skipped if you so desire during a pre-menu (which will come up twice in the game) stating that the following content may be extremely disturbing while giving you the two options.

Link During Speculation - Destructoid 1

Link Post and Official Activision Statement - Destructoid 2

My opinion, fuck yes. Hitting all angles of human emotion is what media is all about. Limiting yourself/products to a "safe zone" that has to adhere to the public's general "likeness" only kills the art and potential something has to awaken everyone's eyes. Seeing something from another perspective is something that makes the ignorant different from the knowledgeable. So I hope that the market follows trend with at least this, and that it lets go of the "PC as a DLC platform" idea as well.