Gamecube Controller Alternatives?

I think I'll go with Agozer on this one and try out a converter. Thanks for the suggestions people.

If I do it relatively soon, I'll post on how it goes but I probably won't, other priorities.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the Dpad hate on the Cube controller, but otherwise it's a far superior controller to anything I've ever used.

Wait... what? On the GC? or ever? Besides... almost ANYTHING is better that the GC controller. OMFG what were they smoking. Sh!tty bean shaped c buttons, big A little b. Like Agozer says... those triggers are annoying. How the hell can anyone play that new Cap vs whatever game with any decency with it?

"Far superior"... I'm speechless.

Most ergonomic controller EVER, the shaped buttons lend themselves to a new user not having to even LOOK at the buttons, and I think the triggers are far from annoying. They're better than the triggers on ANY other controller. The sloppy Dreamcast triggers, the joke that is analog on PS2 (How does something with NO range of motion call itself analog?), the only one even close to "getting it" is Microsoft.

The PS1, PS2 and PS3 controllers are all the same......SNES copycats with nothing really new. Same goes for the Analog sticks on the Sony controllers, they're far too weak and loose, they have the same piss-poor "Flick it like it's your micro azn male organ" design Sanwa arcade sticks do :devilboy:

Neither is good for fighting games anyway. Shoulder buttons as B5 and B6? GTFO.....

I can understand the Dpad hate on the Cube controller, but otherwise it's a far superior controller to anything I've ever used.

Wait... what? On the GC? or ever? Besides... almost ANYTHING is better that the GC controller. OMFG what were they smoking. Sh!tty bean shaped c buttons, big A little b. Like Agozer says... those triggers are annoying. How the hell can anyone play that new Cap vs whatever game with any decency with it?

"Far superior"... I'm speechless.

Most ergonomic controller EVER, the shaped buttons lend themselves to a new user not having to even LOOK at the buttons, and I think the triggers are far from annoying. They're better than the triggers on ANY other controller. The sloppy Dreamcast triggers, the joke that is analog on PS2 (How does something with NO range of motion call itself analog?), the only one even close to "getting it" is Microsoft.

The PS1, PS2 and PS3 controllers are all the same......SNES copycats with nothing really new. Same goes for the Analog sticks on the Sony controllers, they're far too weak and loose, they have the same piss-poor "Flick it like it's your micro azn male organ" design Sanwa arcade sticks do :devilboy:

Neither is good for fighting games anyway. Shoulder buttons as B5 and B6? GTFO.....

Nintendo always comes up with an interesting controller design. Whether its a flop or not I guess comes down to a matter of preference. Some people still prefer the age-old SNES style controller over more liberal designs. Personally, I like the path Nintendo takes with their controllers, and I don't really dislike the Gamecube one, but the D-pad is horrendous. I suppose thats when they ported games like Capcom Vs SNK 2, they gave noobs the option of having the c stick control every move/hyper move throughout the game.

I think the reason the PS1-3 controllers are all really the same is because the format works. I really have no complaints about the controller other than the fact that it is just plain.

Ahh you being an arcade junky, I can see why you have so much hate for the analog. I agree, the analog does lack a certain edge, but overall I find the PS controllers to fit my "grisp" I have dislike for the 360 controller, but thats mainly over the D pad.

I think the reason the PS1-3 controllers are all really the same is because the format works. I really have no complaints about the controller other than the fact that it is just plain.

I agree, 'tis plain... but hand me a PS controller anyday.

I hate the 360 D-Pad too, but it's a design that so many praise with almighty craze about Sega's Saturn/Genesis pads.

Why does the circle-dpad that is IDENTICAL in it's inaccurate state, garner such praise for Sega, but when it's on Microsofts pad it's "crap"? It's flawed on BOTH! I HATE Circular D-pads and all of them, they ALL fail. Saturn and Genesis pads outright suck for so many reasons (Light and flimsy, jagged feeling buttons and that horrid circle-dpad) that it boggles my mind why they get so much praise when they're some of the worst pads ever created.

With that said, the Dpad on the Cube controller is one of the worst, second only to the Dreamcast. It may be a touch smaller, but it's more tactile and accurate than that slippery and sloppy one on the Dreamcast, which btw is also too small.

I hate the 360 D-Pad too, but it's a design that so many praise with almighty craze about Sega's Saturn/Genesis pads.

Why does the circle-dpad that is IDENTICAL in it's inaccurate state, garner such praise for Sega, but when it's on Microsofts pad it's "crap"? It's flawed on BOTH! I HATE Circular D-pads and all of them, they ALL fail. Saturn and Genesis pads outright suck for so many reasons (Light and flimsy, jagged feeling buttons and that horrid circle-dpad) that it boggles my mind why they get so much praise when they're some of the worst pads ever created.

With that said, the Dpad on the Cube controller is one of the worst, second only to the Dreamcast. It may be a touch smaller, but it's more tactile and accurate than that slippery and sloppy one on the Dreamcast, which btw is also too small.

I too despise the 360 D-Pad and was excited when I heard the news about a 360 controller remake that would have a better D-Pad. Then I discovered that it was actually very unpopular and was only going to be released in Europe. Brilliant.

Yeah, so many people think I'm crazy but I absolutely loved the feel of the 64 controllers. I really dislike the GC. Maybe it's because I have fat fingers...who knows? It's not my preferred choice. I'm like Will, gimme a PS controller any day and I'm slick as a brick. I also agree with Rag about Nintendo always coming out with unique designs. That's how the folks at Nintendo are..they're always trying out new concepts and I have to admire them for that but I would like to smack the ones who said "This controller works awesome! Let's put these in the market along with the console!" I'm sure they could have formatted a better style controller than what they have. I have never heard anyone (excluding what I've read here) say they like the GC pad. But, everyone has preferences and I will say that I would rather use the GC controller than a Saturn...uck.

Yeah, so many people think I'm crazy but I absolutely loved the feel of the 64 controllers. I really dislike the GC. Maybe it's because I have fat fingers...who knows? It's not my preferred choice. I'm like Will, gimme a PS controller any day and I'm slick as a brick. I also agree with Rag about Nintendo always coming out with unique designs. That's how the folks at Nintendo are..they're always trying out new concepts and I have to admire them for that but I would like to smack the ones who said "This controller works awesome! Let's put these in the market along with the console!" I'm sure they could have formatted a better style controller than what they have. I have never heard anyone (excluding what I've read here) say they like the GC pad. But, everyone has preferences and I will say that I would rather use the GC controller than a Saturn...uck.

I think the 64 controllers were great for the games on the 64 since so many of them had the "awkward" design in mind while creating the game. How else could you burn a whole in your hand while playing the tug of war mini-game in Mario Party?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like its the same case with the GC. Many of the games feel awkward for me with the GC controller. The Mega Man/X collections are a nightmare to play with that controller. In fact I find it nearly impossible to play X collection with it due to the inability to do several things at once (charge/jump/dash/move) with the GC controller.

• 1 year later...

Buy new ones, not used. Make sure you don't eat or drink while playing or spill anything on them. Best to not let little kids mess with them either because they have sticky gross hands. You also don't want to bang on the buttons like crazy .

is it possible to have some kind of auto lock function on year old threads to keep these fucking bots from digging up bones.