Starting a Johnny Cash tribute band.

emsley

We wanted to do a hard rock band but we were having trouble geling plus maybe the music was too complex for a first time band, So I cooked up the idea of a cash tribute band if you have ever seen any of cashes LIVE videos on youtube ill think you will find they are actually pretty good I cant wait to get started I will be playing acoustic and performing main vocals, currently we only got a drummer and a bassist will come in at a later date once me and pete have got around 15 songs nailed down properly.

While im talking about this, does anyone know of a cash song where he sings about the days of the week? I want to add that to be an opener at the gigs, in the movie walk the line its performed at Vegas just before he passes out from drug abuse.

:)

great idea! I think you'll find the rhythms can be alittle more complex then they seem at first glance, Johnny almost always played a bouncing bass line with in the chords. kind of a "boom-chukka boom-chukka" sound. I can't think of the song you mentioned off hand but it will come to me.

besides all the standards like ring of fire and folsom prison blues I suggest you learn:

Cry, Cry, Cry, when the man comes around, it ain't me babe & Cocaine Blues. those are my favorites and you can rock em out abit.

infact teh song you mentioned may be cocaine blues....

Ha dude, fianly someone who has belief in this idea I hold very close to my heart.

Songs I have got down:

Ring of Fire

Folsom prison blues

It aint me babe

Man comes around (C/G Shuffle)

Gods gonna Cut you down (awesome if you can pull it off)

Sam hall

Drive on

I know thats only a few but I have to start some place and I cant remember all the lyrics yet.

But like you say the rhythm is like the wheels of an old train on some and others like you say bouncing bass, especially on get rhythm.

I think with how populor he is it will help us a lot becasue the younger kids like cash too as well as the older guys I think we will have trouble with the lead guitarist they always end up moaning or leaving.

The song I was after was "I got stripes"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFd89Dwi7Y

But you know we will be palying a little faster! I will be looking into all the songs you mentioned that I have not tinkered with yet. :)

Maybe we could do a video live lead? haha.

I got so much abuse of my friends for wanting to do this, the lead guitarist we have is pretty good way better player than me but he is not interested one little bit which is odd becasue he likes cashes music.

My other friend is not interested he says he hates country/cash but I think it might be sour grapes becasue his band never took off, its a shame becasue they are a good band.

But like I say I got big ideas for it and my voclas have recently started to get a lot better once i get behind the mic it should help me a lot to hear my self better and learn to fill the room with my voice, I told the guys we are all going to need suites, black ones at that..

Its the only time in my life when my head and my heart have agreed with the music I want to do.