Take-Two Considering Grand Theft Auto on Wii?

Alpha

Take-Two may be thinking about bringing Grand Theft Auto to the Nintendo Wii, reports MCV. At an earnings call, Take-Two CEO Ben Feder commented on the close relationship the company has garnered with Nintendo in the development of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. "I will tell you that we've spent an enormous amount of time and effort working with Nintendo and developing that partnership," he said.

He goes on to comment that the company will "continue to build that relationship," and calls Chinatown Wars an "important step." When asked directly about a Grand Theft Auto game on the Nintendo Wii, Feder turned suspiciously evasive. "So without commenting on whether GTA specifically...is coming to the Wii or not, I will say that Nintendo and Take-Two work very well together," he said. "We intend to continue to grow that relationship." This isn't by any means a confirmation, but refusing to give a straight no means it could be in the cards.

Note, of course, that he says GTA, not mentioning Grand Theft Auto IV by name, a game which could be difficult to port to the less powerful Wii hardware. If a title in the series is on its way to Wii -- and that's already a big "if" -- it's more likely to be a new creation or a port of one of the PS2-era Grand Theft Auto games. Either way, the runaway success of the Wii, combined with the blockbuster history of the Grand Theft Auto series, could make for a very smart partnership that might also appease some core gamers that have felt left behind by Nintendo lately. Then again, Take-Two's a popular target for antigame advocates, so we could also be looking at the Manhunt 2 controversy all over again if this pans out.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169773

This is great news. I hope that the Wii gets some sort of version of GTA on their console. It'll definitely be a lot more fun with the Wii mote. I'm also excited to see how GTA: China Town Wars is going to end up looking on the Nintendo DS. <_>

I think it's just a normal step, because the GTA franshise had an announcement long ago, that it will come to the Nintendo64 but never came.

And they already have the rockstar table tennis engine running on the wii and a great PS2 engine, so I can see it coming! =)