The ESA (Otherwise known as gaming's RIAA) Asks Govt. for Help Battling Pirates

Alpha

$60 for a game is highway robbery. Look at how many titles are released. I should miss out on most of them because I don't have an income of half a million dollars a year to purchase them all?

As for piracy being rampant in Canada, YEAH RIGHT! You can't count those of us who download and burn our own copies as "PIRATES". We are NOT pirates FFS!

Pirates make money off the theft.

I'm not buying games anymore unless they're $19.99 or less. Period. I'm sick and f**king tired of getting the shaft with shovelware and emptying my pockets for nothing. Is it just a coincedence the RIAA is after the same goals? No, because they too aren't getting their pockets lined enough, because they allow artists to put out albums with 1 or 2 good songs and expect people to cough up $20 on avg for a little piece of plastic with mostly crap music on it.

F**K the RIAA and the ESA. They can both blow me.

I'm not sure if the price of the product would make a substantial difference. If it did, people wouldn't be pirating movies as well. Most movies nowadays you can buy for less than $20, and the classics can be as cheap as $5. However, people still download the movies and new releases. Hell, people download TV shows, which they basically can watch for free (depending on what kind of television provider he or she has).

So I don't think it's about the price of the product at all. The problem is that people are greedy and they spoil themselves. For example, people who decide to download "full rom sets" will never be able to enjoy each and every game to its full potential. Sure, some games may be pure garbage, but even the greater games don't get the appreciation they deserve. Ever remember the years when you'd pay so much for a game and you'd play the game until the very end and make sure you got your money's worth? All those good times? Tell me how many memories you have playing games you downloaded. Probably a lot less.

Most people who are "stuck" on a particular game they downloaded would rather download another game than waste their time any further. But people forget that what makes a game great is beating the obstacle, hence the memories.

The same goes for music. People download hundreds and thousands of songs, until they're tired of all of them. There's a reason why sex can't truly last all night long. It's so you can keep coming back for more and more.

At least you don't have to keep paying some company $60 dollars every time you want some.

If you're talking about sex ....

Unless she's a prostitute. And the obstacle course a man has to go through just to find a woman (and perhaps establish a relationship) should equate for the price of sex. Time is money.

Prices for games should be lower... but they cost too much to make and the market isn't big enough. It's not going to happen.

I remember paying $75.00 for NBA Live '96 for the Super Nintendo. Prices for games have dropped over the years. It is the responsibility of the buyer to do the proper research before purchasing a game, so that the game will be worth their money.

How much research can you really do though? For someone like me, where renting a new game really isn't an option, if there isn't a demo then all you can do is read other peoples reviews and impressions. It really isn't enough.

I'm all for lower prices- you could take a chance on games a lot more often if they were $10-20 each, which would be good and profitable for the industry (if hardware wasn't an even bigger expense... but that's another issue), I'm just saying that its not really feasible atm.

Prices for games should be lower... but they cost too much to make and the market isn't big enough. It's not going to happen.

I remember paying $75.00 for NBA Live '96 for the Super Nintendo. Prices for games have dropped over the years. It is the responsibility of the buyer to do the proper research before purchasing a game, so that the game will be worth their money.

Uhh, that was because cartrige based systems of the past cost ALOT of money to make. It's why the N64 era was still expensive with 59-75 dollar games while CD based games were cheaper by 10-15 dollars less.

There is no excuse to WHY games now cost 69.99. DVD media is cheap to make, Blu-Ray discs are getting cheap to make as well, box art and manuals don't cover half the costs of the games as well, maybe 5-7 dollars. So that throws out that also. Games that were made for several million dollars can still turn a profit at 49-59.99 dollar range as well.

Even with the Canadian dollar being mighty, we still pay 10-15 dollars more then you U.S. guys anyways. The way I see it, it's cheaper to get our crap there now.

$60 for a game is highway robbery. Look at how many titles are released. I should miss out on most of them because I don't have an income of half a million dollars a year to purchase them all?

As for piracy being rampant in Canada, YEAH RIGHT! You can't count those of us who download and burn our own copies as "PIRATES". We are NOT pirates FFS!

Pirates make money off the theft.

I'm not buying games anymore unless they're $19.99 or less. Period. I'm sick and f**king tired of getting the shaft with shovelware and emptying my pockets for nothing. Is it just a coincedence the RIAA is after the same goals? No, because they too aren't getting their pockets lined enough, because they allow artists to put out albums with 1 or 2 good songs and expect people to cough up $20 on avg for a little piece of plastic with mostly crap music on it.

F**K the RIAA and the ESA. They can both blow me.

I'm not sure if the price of the product would make a substantial difference. If it did, people wouldn't be pirating movies as well. Most movies nowadays you can buy for less than $20, and the classics can be as cheap as $5. However, people still download the movies and new releases. Hell, people download TV shows, which they basically can watch for free (depending on what kind of television provider he or she has).

So I don't think it's about the price of the product at all. The problem is that people are greedy and they spoil themselves. For example, people who decide to download "full rom sets" will never be able to enjoy each and every game to its full potential. Sure, some games may be pure garbage, but even the greater games don't get the appreciation they deserve. Ever remember the years when you'd pay so much for a game and you'd play the game until the very end and make sure you got your money's worth? All those good times? Tell me how many memories you have playing games you downloaded. Probably a lot less.

Most people who are "stuck" on a particular game they downloaded would rather download another game than waste their time any further. But people forget that what makes a game great is beating the obstacle, hence the memories.

The same goes for music. People download hundreds and thousands of songs, until they're tired of all of them. There's a reason why sex can't truly last all night long. It's so you can keep coming back for more and more.

I agree with you on the part that we don't value the games as much anymore. Lately I've decided to pick games from older consoles that interest me, and play them from start to finish. I keep track of the games I finish in a small excel database. Anyways so far I have 10 games on my list :o but I'm quite proud of the accomplishment. So my advice to everyone is pick a somewhat good oldie game and play it start to finish. Make it a challenge.

Well, a wii in palestine costs around id say 500$, because of the ship and for the seller to make profit. That is way to much. But on the good side, games cost a quarter, no matter what. I would probably buy a wii here and just wait until those guys release a good hack (i already read the post here about it being hacked). Then go back overseas with it.

In terms of what they are saying about piracy, dont think of the companies, think of the people like you and me who are trying to find a job but cant because instead of the managers getting 1 million, they are only getting 900,00$ (just as an example) so they fire a couple of workers so they can make up for it. Stop yelling at the big people, their are little people you know. You can start complaining when all american based companies move to india or china and games are translated thier (if you get the point im trying to put here).

I couldn't stand to have games that are English with their interpretation of "English" in it. Have you ever tried to understand what they are ever trying to say on the phone, It's very hard =S

The programmers and developers should get paid some royalty fees for the game but the price SHOULD go down.

Personally I've kinda stopped playing most games except for portable ones(PSP and NDS) when I am away from my computer, otherwise I am programming or web developing