Blizzard shuts down StarLite DS project with a Cease and Desist

JKKDARK

http://razorwire.warcry.com/news/view/8082...ease-and-Desist

Nuclear launch detected. The greatest thing to come out of France since fried potato sticks has been crushed under the heel of a faceless attorney. According to a forum post by one of the homebrew project developers, they have been forced to abandon StarLite for legal reasons.

Until Blizzard realizes that StarCraft on the DS would easily sell 3 times as many copies of World of Warcraft, does anyone have a copy of the last version (0.03) of Starlite? Thank you.

What a shame. StarLite is an excellent Starcraft clone for DS.

I don't know why Blizzard did it, since it's just a little homebrew game and they will not lose money.

I'm assuming Blizzard noticed some copyrighted graphics in the game. If they were to completely re-do the graphics/sound/whatever is copyrighted, they could continue their project [since Blizzard would have no legal right to say anything].

has nothing to do with it, Blizzard are just paranoid jackasses. they've shut down many a non-profit mods and homebrews for no reason whatsoever

It's called protecting assets. Did you know a majority of the Star Wars mods have to get official permission from LucasArts? Bet you didn't know that (there was this REALLY good Star Wars mod for UT2k4 and they required permission from Lucas Arts just to put it on the nVidia/UT Mod contest). They are simply protecting their IPs. Sure I'm a little pissed, but if your making a mod or developing a freeware game that has a big possibility of being passed off as an official product, there's problems bound to crop. Like Microsoft canning Halo Wars RTS mod for C&CGenerals, that was something I was waiting for, for YEARS and then MS + Bungie announce an actual Halo RTS and tell em to C&D.

Yeah I would loved this, and I believe they could of gotten away with it if they changed the graphics.