What is that?

Krosigrim

I just went outside for a smoke. While I was sitting there, I saw a shooting star. It was pretty, kinda Blue/Green. So I looked up, at the angle that the star fell from, and I see a red dot, among the stars. It is almost straight up from me, so I looked, and it is kinda N-N/E of the Orion constellation. So if your in eyeshot of orion, perhaps you can see it too.

I don't know where to look, online, to see what is visible. So I don't know if it is Mars, or the spacestation or what. All I do know, is it has a red hue to it, while all other stars have a bluish hue to them, so it is quite noticeable.

Does anyone else see it? Again, N N/E of the Orion constellation, and it has a reddish hue.

Edited by Belthasar

I just went outside for a smoke. While I was sitting there, I saw a shooting star. It was pretty, kinda Blue/Green. So I looked up, at the angle that the star fell from, and I see a red dot, among the stars. It is almost straight up from me, so I looked, and it is kinda N-N/E of the Orion constellation. So if your in eyeshot of orion, perhaps you can see it too.

I don't know where to look, online, to see what is visible. So I don't know if it is Mars, or the spacestation or what. All I do know, is it has a red hue to it, while all other stars have a bluish hue to them, so it is quite noticeable.

Does anyone else see it? Again, N N/E of the Orion constellation, and it has a reddish hue.

Damn, I guess today is your lucky day. Did you make a wish? I've never seen a shooting star, perhaps it's because I don't look at the sky that much? However, just the other day, I noticed a cloud (of smoke or something) in a perfect circle around the full moon. Now that was amazing! :P

Damn, I guess today is your lucky day. Did you make a wish? I've never seen a shooting star, perhaps it's because I don't look at the sky that much? However, just the other day, I noticed a cloud (of smoke or something) in a perfect circle around the full moon. Now that was amazing! :P

No I didn't make a wish, I never do. I don't ever want to make a wish, because the only things worth wishing for, could never be true, like actual peace, or a publicized cure for cancer. ( I know there is one) And I don't make selfish wishes, because I don't really need whatever it is, I might want. I'm happy that I'm here, and I live a happy life.

But yea, are you in range to see it? I don't remember where you said you were from GC, but if you are in range, take a look.

Oh, I saw something like that moon thing you describe. I saw a sheet of thin coverage in front of the moon, so the light refracted off kinda like a halo, around the moon.

Edited by Belthasar

it's an alien ship

they are back to get you :­o

seriously though, you could just probably get some astronomy software, plug in your coordinates and find out wtf it is :3

edit: did it for you, because now you have me curious

floridasky.png

I would say it's mars... (source: stellarium)

Edited by Reaper man

I don't get to see any of the stars that you guys see. :P

But, I do see the great sweep of the milky way stretching from horizon to horizon and passing directly overhead. It looks like thin cloud but is actually billions of stars. Quite incredible.

it's an alien ship

they are back to get you :­o

seriously though, you could just probably get some astronomy software, plug in your coordinates and find out wtf it is :3

edit: did it for you, because now you have me curious

I would say it's mars... (source: stellarium)

Awesome! Thanks. Thats what I thought after I saw that it was in the same location from orion tonight. And it being red and all. And yea, that is the exact place. Thanks again.

I don't get to see any of the stars that you guys see. :)

But, I do see the great sweep of the milky way stretching from horizon to horizon and passing directly overhead. It looks like thin cloud but is actually billions of stars. Quite incredible.

Booooo! I live in the greater Orlando area, and Reaperman lives in Jacksonville, so we have alot of humidity, mixed with city lights. In city life, The stars are all but swallowed up. I haven't seen a really starry sky, since I was 11. So thats 18 years. Even if I go to the beach, looking out at the ocean sky, I can see only so much. (no light inhibiting) To see billions of stars as you see them.... amazing. I wish I could see that, with my own eyes. I don't know of a place, in which I can see such a sight Robert. I wonder where I could go...

That is one of my things. I love anything related to space. It is unfathomable, the mechanics of space. From the Aurora, which is our magnetic poles, collecting the feedback from solar radiation, and the gravity well, from the sun, that parallels our earths "shield" to protect the solar system from cosmic rays, to even the Super Massive Blackholes, that bind all the star systems to the galaxy. It is awe inspiring. So many crazy things about it.

But I need to go on a trip, just to be able to see the stars again...

As I understand it, you need to visit the Southern Hemisphere to be able to see the Milky Way. It always passes right overhead, whatever the time of year. We are at exactly the right latitude, it seems.

It's nearly impossible to see anything much from the city (where I am now), but at my country house it is easily visible. It is so clear that the moonlight casts shadows, and you can certainly walk around without bumping into things. I am about to go there now.

What is the brightest object in the night sky after the moon? For us it is Venus, but I have no idea of the names of the stars.