Am I being hacked?

Krosigrim

OK. I used to be on a router. My router is gone now, it belonged to a friend. And my roommates video card fried the other day, so now he doesn't use his computer. So now I'm directly linked, without a router. I have Zone Alarm, and I had like.... 50 blocked intrusions with 47 high rated. This accumulated, over the course of a month and a half. Since I got the computer, and reformatted it. And when I checked my roommate's blocked count, it was through the roof. like hundreds of thousands.

Well, Since I've been directly linked, 7 days or so, my count is 1005 blocked and 50 high rated. Just a few min ago, as I was trying to preview a post of mine, my computer started acting kinda slow for a sec, and then I heard a drive engage, like the hard drive was running or something. NOISE nonetheless. I looked at Zone alarm and it says 1005, when last night it said 500.

DUDE! What the hell is going on here? I was hardly a target, now I'm a bullseye? Is it attacks that were normally going after my roommates pc? I do nothing different. I do have AVG Free, Spybot, AdAware, and ZoneAlarm. The free quinella.

I am not experienced with this sort of thing. Any input would be appreciated!!!!!!!

Edited by Belthasar

Well, since you ran a bunch of scans, might as well run em some more. Check which programs use an internet connect. Run a few more scans, get your Windows updates then run scans again. That honestly all you can do and hope something pops up. Alternatively, when you go to bed, you could just block all incoming connections.

if you ahve your port blocked you should be fine... having numbers on there means that the software is doing its job. I would invest in a router though, as a hardware firewall is better at blocking incoming connections. You could probably also look into getting monitoring software to see what your PC is actually doing when your HD is thrashing. Task manager can sorta be set up to give you a general idea as well....

Well, I feel stupid to ask, but is merely having zone alarm considered blocking my ports? Other than that Firewall, And basic internet security, found in windows options, and firefox, I have not manually changed anything. Save installing spybot and such. Damn...... With the regular virus scans and spybot/adaware removal, is there things that those will miss? Because I thought I had adequate protection........... I realize its blocking these conections, more so since I don't have a router, so good call. ARGH...

So yea, does having Zone Alarm block my ports? Ack I'm so ignorant.

I used to have zone alarm, and over the last 3 years it blocked 1.5 million intrusion attempts. So, you certainly have no need to be "alarmed". ZA can be hard on P2P though (when it feels like it), in the end it had to be replaced.

If you are worried about open ports, visit the site below, scroll down halfway and choose the ShieldsUp option. It will check your computer for open ports.

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Alright, Looks like im ok, must have just been a coincidence. I had an older pc, prone to getting flocked up, so I get touchy...... (didnt have enough ram to run all these programs I have now)

Again guys, Thanks