Learning Guitar

Mooney

I've decided to start playing guitar, since I need a hobby that doesn't involve staring at a screen and the guitar has always fascinated me.

I know we have a few guitar experts on here, so I was looking for advice on the best way to learn. First, I've heard people say that it is best to learn the acoustic guitar before you start on electric guitars. Is this true? Also, did you teach yourself (how?) or did you get lessons from a music teacher/friend?

Thanks. :D

It makes far more sense to start off with an acoustic guitar, since the basics are more or less the same, and acoustics are generally cheaper.

however, keep in mind that depending on the style of music you intend to play, there are alot of techniques that don't work on an acoustic.

a friend of mine basically taught me how to hold the guitar, and how to read tabs, and i took off from there, there are quite a few good tutorials and video tutorials online, but once you learn the basics, it's all a matter of practice.

i suggest you start off by finding something to teach you how to hold the guitar, the general tuning structures, how to read tabs , and scales and chords in general.

Elazul Yagami makes good points. Also, be prepared for soreness, when you practice at first.

I was taught the very basics of chords and such, and I stopped practicing. So I never really got good.

But I have some useful advice. Do not let it become a chore. Sure, you need alot of practice, but make sure you are getting fulfillment from it. That seems obvious, but there were times that I drilled Tekken techniques so hard, that I burned myself out.

Also, I assume you are musically inclined. If you are not, it makes no matter. Try to get a feel for the music you are playing or notes you are doing. I don't know how your mind works, but for me, (once I reach a place where I can actually make a solid sound ) I try to feel the music out. A big problem is trying too hard. It ties into the "not making it a chore" thing. I played by ear. I had no idea how to read tabs or anything, so I had to just let it flow, by ear. I'm not suggesting this, I'm just saying, you got to feeeeeeeeel emotional content. OK... shameless Bruce quote.

Also, there are small drills I'm sure you will come across when you get into this. These will help out in the finger placement department. They will help build muscle and dexterity.

Also tuning by ear is REALLY helpful. I have a rough idea on what each tuning sounds.

Don't need to repeat what was already said. Also best way to being to read tabs is to know them by numbers and which string their on. Most tabs do it from highest note to lowest note (ebgdAE). Also, only muscians know this, and it's time you should know. Jimi never played with his teeth, he was doing hammer ons and pull offs for his "teeth" solos. He also played downtuned to Eb.