SSFIITHDR being rebalanced

Mooney

This is the first part in an extended series of articles from David Sirlin, detailing the changes we’ve made to the rebalanced mode of the new Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix project. This first article explains some of the motivation behind the project, reviews its design goals, and eliminates some of the misinformation we’ve seen floating around about the game. We’ll dig into the meaty details of some changes in the articles to follow!

Here’s a brief bio on our guest blogger:

David Sirlin has competed in Street Fighter tournaments for 16 years, and for 11 years he has helped organize and run the tournament series that started as B3 and has now become the international Evolution Championships. He represented the United States in SSF2T in Japan’s Super Battle Opera tournament, wrote the competitive gaming book Playing to Win, and provided narration for Bang the Machine, a documentary film about the Street Fighter community. He’s now overseeing the design and gameplay on Super Street Fighter 2: HD Remix.

And now, on with the article!

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix Gameplay, Part 1: Design Goals

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix was originally going to be a graphical update of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but along the way some magic happened. HD Remix is now a completely new Street Fighter game—the 6th installment in the SF2 series. It also includes an arcade perfect gameplay version of SSF2T with new art and music. You’re actually getting two games in one.

For years, I’ve been a care-taker of the franchise, helping to present the games in the best way in Capcom Classics Collection 1, 2, and Remixed. Now I have the honor and burden of improving upon what I consider the very best Street Fighter game ever: Super Turbo. So many have said it’s impossible to improve upon the polished gem of ST, but as Wayne Gretzky said, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take,” so Capcom and I felt that it was worth taking a shot.

Here are the design goals:

1) Make the game easier to play—more inclusive rather than exclusive

2) Make the game even more balanced for tournament play

3) Add fun as long as it doesn’t interfere with #2.

More details via Capcom Unity

Well, kinda happy that they revamped it a bit. I find the difficulty in SSFT can be daunting and ridiculous at times. I mean, head biting you to death?? Spinning piledriver at an arm's length distance?!? Sheesh.....

Well, kinda happy that they revamped it a bit. I find the difficulty in SSFT can be daunting and ridiculous at times. I mean, head biting you to death?? Spinning piledriver at an arm's length distance?!? Sheesh.....

It's range is ONLY upclose. If you ever played the previous SFII games, he had no whiff animation. Which royally screws EVERYONE because it comes out so fast and deals so much damage. They'll keep it's SPD range.

It's range is ONLY upclose. If you ever played the previous SFII games, he had no whiff animation. Which royally screws EVERYONE because it comes out so fast and deals so much damage. They'll keep it's SPD range.

What does "SPD range" stand for? :D