Want to create my own 2d fighting game!

funknotik

Hello, I've been a fan of 2D fighting games for as long as I can remember and would like to attempt making my own. My question is will learning the ins and outs of mugen assist me in creating my OWN ORIGINAL SPRITES? Or are there some other links that could possibly guide me on how one goes about making a game like Guilty Gear or Street Fighter? I am going to be working with a team of graphic designers, programmers, artists, and musicians to create the idea and background story for the game. What im looking to create is a full 2D fighter guilty gear and street fighter 3 third strike is the kind of quality I would want in the finished product. If anyone could assist me it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance.

Well Guilty Gear's resolution is higher then SFIII's. The animations suck but the spirites are at a higher resolution (800x600 I believe). Which is the complete opposite of SFIII, whose animations are arguable the best 2D has ever put out, but is stuck at a native 762x400 or something. As for assets for the game, anything is possible, it just as long as you can keep paying your people to make animations and sprites.

I for one, totally support what you're doing. Hell, I'd work for you for free.

As for your question, yes and no. It will tell you how to animate the sprites (theres even a tutorial that comes with the download) but not show you how to make some (although thats easy, they are just pictures.)

Thank you all for your quick responses!! I greatly appreciate any help I can get with this. Now to address some statements made, Blackknight asked: ""To the OP, if you have all these people working on it why use Mugen?"

Our talents lie mostly in graphic design, conscept art, and music production. I used the term "programmers" very loosely, in other words we know nothing about programming!! We are pretty much just artists and musicians who share a love of 2d fighters. But for the sake of creating the game we are willing to do whatever is necessary. If you could direct us as to what programming language or technique we could use as opposed to mugen or KOF.91, we would appreciate it. At this point we are creating conscept art, characters, and backgrounds. But i wanted to show the guys what software we would be using to put these images into motion, which would also motivate them and make it seem more tangible. At this point im thinking of using mugen, and later on as our knowledge increases we could possibly code something in C, and create a new system from the ground up.

To Evil Ryu X, if you are seriously interested you could provide us information as to where your talents lie, we could definately use the help. As the project becomes more realized I will provide images and more info. Currently we have 50 pages of conscept art to be included in the game, I will provide a link to the lead designers deviant art page so you can see the kind of art style that will be featured in the game. The game will also feature a full feature original sound track.

By the way does anyone know what capcom used to create the engine for 3rd strike?? How about guilty gear what did they use? Any links, tutorials, or information would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for your responses!!

Assembly.

It's how Capcom and SNK made their 2d fighters. The SF3 engine was built from the ground up using assembly. Same with Guilty Gear.

Also; I want to make a 2D fighter as well, but all I have is story, characters and music.

Wizard: Sounds like a fighter right there.

OP: Sadly, I'm not very good at ripping sprites and making chars. I only seem to have any particular talent in the actual coding and filling of the game (i.e. menus, little extra effects, etc.) which are things I'm sure anyone can do. I debug characters for a few people, and stages too, but other than that, I'm not much use...