GGPO anyone tried this?

Robert

Welcome to the GGPO Public Alpha!

GGPO.net is a new approach to online fighting games. Traditional networking algorithms used to compensate for network latency result in either slower than normal gameplay or an excessive amount of delay (or lag) tacked onto the beginning of each move. GGPO.net uses a novel way to hide latency which lets the game run at full speed without adding any delay to any of your moves. So your timing doesn't change and combos come out like butter. It's almost like playing head-to-head in your living room!

GGPO.net is currently in Public Alpha. This means we there are a quite a few bugs to be worked out in the matchmaking system, but the state of the networking code is rock solid (solid enough to open to the public, at least). Expect frequent server crashes, resets, and other random events which may disrupt your game. If this bothers you, come back when we're in Public Beta. =)

If anyone tries this let us know how it goes.

It uses a specially modified final burn emulator, you can't use mame.

Linky

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I tried it during build 17. I liked it ok. but I hated the chat interface. I guess they are up to build 20 or so now and supporting MvC as well as SFA2. I heard some murmurs that SSFIIHD is going to be using the netcode. once it becomes a more fully featured emu I can see it doing well. just fix the damn chat interface!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

up to build 27 now and supporting vampire savior and KOF98. I need to check it out again soon.

Is there source to this or are they blatantly violating the license of FBA?

They didn't modify FBA other then to support the GGPO net client. They had a whole talk on this, if I could find the link...

Someone on my forums pointed me to the fact that they do include 'some' of their code changes.

As per the license, if you post a binary with any modification, small or large, you most post the source as well.