BUSH WEEK

Robert

President Bush is in Sydney this week for the APEC conference, which will be

attended by 21 world leaders including the Chinese and Russians. But Bush has

the biggest motorcade (21 cars), and some people are making a sport of trying to spot him.

A large part of the central city has been fenced off for "security" reasons, and traffic

disruptions are everywhere. We even get a public holiday tomorrow, especially just

for this occasion.

Yesterday the Bush motorcade (including Limo 1), went a whole 100 metres up the street.

But even the President thought it was over the top, and when the meeting was over

he walked back.

Today there are motorcade movements by the hundreds today, and police and snipers

everywhere. Anyone who gets near gets searched. I never knew we had so many police

in this city.

Luckily I work in a regional centre so am not affected.

Already 2 security breaches have occurred, the first was a TV comedy crew who hired

a few black vehicles and pretended to be the delegation from Canada. They got outside

the hotel where Bush is staying before being detected. They were all arrested including

the drivers of the limos.

The second incident was minor, two staffers that work for the Opposition Leader were

given passes that were marked "police" which would have allowed them access anywhere.

Luckily the passes were cancelled before they were used.

Tomorrow and the weekend will be the most hectic time yet. Although I do not care for

the conference, it will be interesting to see what else happens.

I thought the Chaser's stunt was great. They managed to get through two roadblocks with fake IDs that read "insecurity" and "this is obviously a fake ID," using cars marked with "property of the Chaser." No to mention that the motorcade was under the Canadian flag, but patrols were oblivious to the fact that Canada was not attending APEC.

(Yes, that's APEC, not OPEC.)

They should have never have made it past that first roadblock, and it wasn't even their intention to do so.

In a way, they helped security forces out by showing them that they could be compromised. An embarrassing way to do it, though!