Laptop Hard Drive

Ahmad89

Well after finding out that my compuer doesnt work my brother is keeping all of his stuff away from it, including his hdd.

You're out of luck then, hold on to it for a while until you can find some kind of help or a machine to test it on.

For your first comment, he is keeping the same OS and i think he is not going to mess with the ram. As for the hdd for my brothers laptop, you mentioned cheap, 100$ is not cheap (for us that is) but i think he is willing to but the money. Which one would you recommend for a Toshiba 3455 S3001 laptop. Does it matter which one you pick. I know the lenght of it matters (2.5" by the way) and the number of pins (40 something i think). does it have to be toshiba.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148091

But i just need this final question too. IS THE HDD THE PROBLEM???? I need to be sure, 100$ less money less in our pocket is 100$ less money for college.

In order to figure out whats wrong you must analyze the problem. Dont spend anything yet, find the time to get someone or a place to check if the your hdd is still in working condition.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This curtainly sounds like a power supply issue although since a laptop's components are all internal and all connected directly to the motherboard then the only conclusion is that your laptop has now become a brick just like my last laptop did. If you can I would try to see if Compaq might be able to help you with it. They might try to referbish it for you for less then it would cost for a brand new laptop.

This curtainly sounds like a power supply issue although since a laptop's components are all internal and all connected directly to the motherboard then the only conclusion is that your laptop has now become a brick just like my last laptop did. If you can I would try to see if Compaq might be able to help you with it. They might try to referbish it for you for less then it would cost for a brand new laptop.

I dont want a new laptop, just pisses me off that i lost one (not really). When the winter break comes i will be able to get my new graphics card that will have the video out (thats all i really use the laptop for). Guess i'll have to use my brothes laptop to watch stuff on tv.

and a personal experience statement to all:

COMPAQ SUCKS

Is the link you posted for a Notebook or for a tower, it says its for notebooks but i thought they looked different???? (LoRd SnOw)

Edited by Ahmad89

Compaq is part of HP so maybe HP sucks too.

We use HP equipment at work, if the item is in warranty they are very good, usually a technician will appear on-site the next day and fix or replace it for free.

But.. once the warranty is over, you may as well throw the faulty item in the bin and buy a new one. The reason being, they have a repair service but the cost will be about the same as a new item. And if you reject the quote, it costs $66 to get the thing back.

Compaq is part of HP so maybe HP sucks too.

We use HP equipment at work, if the item is in warranty they are very good, usually a technician will appear on-site the next day and fix or replace it for free.

But.. once the warranty is over, you may as well throw the faulty item in the bin and buy a new one. The reason being, they have a repair service but the cost will be about the same as a new item. And if you reject the quote, it costs $66 to get the thing back.

My new computer is Hp AMD i think, that laptop sucked it lasted, but we had good times.

*yawn* as a former PC sales man I've heard it all..."HP/COMPAQ SUCKS! "GATEWAY SUCKS!" SONY SUCKS!" "TOSHIBA SUCKS!" etc etc.... the truth of the matter is that ALL manufacturers have products with a certain industry standard failure rate... it just that the reason people speak poorly about them is that they were unlucky enough to get a "bad egg in the bunch" and think the quality of the entire flocking company is poor because of it... ;/

You do make a good point RM. My last laptop from Gateway barely lasted me 2 years with parts failing every few months while my grandfather has an old Comaq Presario with Window 98 on it that is still running like new. It's so old that I even had to replace the bios battery in it a while back. If only they built computers like that now-a-days. Noone would be complaining much then.

Well my brothers computer just got fixed. First he needed a new hard drive. He packed it with a 120 GB HD. But then his computer kept on shutting down so he asked a friend and when they opened it up they saw that after we removed the fan filter thingy thier was that white glue stuff sperating it from the processor or something which had melted (the white stuff not the processor). Whe got some of that white stuff, added it, and then formatted the computer and it was up and going.

As for my laptop and the reason which we use it (to watch videos from the internet and downloaded ones), we decided we are going to bring a dvd player that you can plug a usb and watch videos from thier. Still cant watch internet movies but its all right, we'll manage.

Another problem which i didnt mention is my brothers sansa media player which for some reason wouldnt work. A little bit of google cream and it worked. Saved you guys some trouble.

It all works out fine in the end....excpet the fact that we lost a laptop.

Edited by Ahmad89

Just so you know that "white stuff" is actually a special paste that directs heat away from the processor and to the heat sync. If this was the problem then that meant that the reason the computer kept resetting was becasue it was overheating big time. The heat from the processor is suppose to melt it to help bond the heat sync to the processor for better heat flow but I guess adding a bit more would help.

[EDIT]

Also sorry about the laptop. I wish we could help you more with it.

Edited by Haldrie