Laptop Hard Drive

Ahmad89

I removed my hard drive from my computer to try it on my brothers laptop (long story). It gave him the blue screen so i decided to put it back on my computer when my computer showed a couple of messages like "booting Betex" or something like that and one of the things said fail. It then showed "Operating system not found" in which it would restart and try to do it agian. My brother suggested that maybe i should flip it upside down (as i forgot how it was taken out). Then my computer wouldnt start. I tried putting it back the other way but it wont start again. Anyone have a clue. Poor lappy :(

I forgot to mention its a compaq presario 2500.

Just so you all know im using my new computer and not my laptop to type this message.

Edited by Ahmad89

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flip it over?!? If you got that blue screen then that means it was reading the hard drive but somehow the OS got corrupted. You might have to buy what is called an enclosure that allows you to connect your laptop's hard drive to a USB or FireWire port (basically treating it like an external hard drive). That way even if you can't get the OS working again you can at least back-up all your files and then perform a full system recovery (that is if connecting your hard drive backwards hasn't shorted it out).

Edited by Haldrie

It gave my brothers laptop the blue screen but we put is hard drive back and his laptop is working but there seems to be a problem with his hard drive (the problem was thier before i tried putting mine in).

As for my laptop, i did not get the blue screen. I have nothing of use on that laptop as everything i need is on this computer. Can i still turn on my computer without a hard drive? I think i fried my computer when i tried to flip the hard drive (the computer was shutdown). I am not sure if its totally dead. What would have fried in this case, the hard drive or what, or am i not putting the hard drive tightly enough??????

The connections on a laptop hard drive are suppose to be designed to only be inserted one way but if you managed to reverse it then that means you also reversed the power connections on the hard drive so the logic curcuit of the hard drive could have been fried by that unless not all the pins connected.

A computer will boot up without a hard drive although it will complain about it not finding an OS to boot.

I have a lot of knowledge about computers and have been known to solve some computer problems just by talking to someone on the phone.

Are you saying that now your laptop won't turn on at all?

I have a lot of knowledge about computers and have been known to solve some computer problems just by talking to someone on the phone.

Are you saying that now your laptop won't turn on at all?

Yep, i tried putting the hard drive in both ways but no lock. Every time i push the button nothing happens, not even i millisecond of it turning on.

Well this is really weird. my only suggestion for this would be to double check the drive directories on boot screen. set them to auto if not already set.

Here are some questions.

- is your brothers laptop compatible with the OS your hdd had?

- Does your hdd power up and power down? if so then expect clicking sounds coming to you soon?

- Do the circuits on your hdd or perhaps your laptop or brothers laptop smell like burning plastic? if so then your hdd's board or circuit extension was probably fried.

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

For my brothers laptop (Toshiba) it turns on on you can go all the way to the desktop but its pretty slow. I think the problem is his HDD because i think its the one that makes the clicking noises. He might just need a new HDD. Does that make sense that he might need a new one because it was a suggestion from a friend.

As for my computer, it will NOT turn on not even for a second. Mine is a compaq like a mentioned in my first post. Both our computers were xp. I hear no noise other than my repeated bashing on the power button after it wouldnt turn on ( :( ). I did not smell anything (but i have had a cold for the past 2 weeks so what do i know) and my brother sure hasnt smelled anything as he would have been mad if he did and more than likely something would have fried.

So to anwer your question:

-Both of our laptops are xp (mine i believe was home while his was professional). Mine was compaq, his was toshiba.

-My computer does not turn on.

-Nothing smells like fries.

For my brothers laptop (Toshiba) it turns on on you can go all the way to the desktop but its pretty slow. I think the problem is his HDD because i think its the one that makes the clicking noises. He might just need a new HDD. Does that make sense that he might need a new one because it was a suggestion from a friend.

I recommend 1gb of ram depending on what OS he's planning on installing, and yes a new fresh hdd. Sata's are cheap these days, well atleast 80gbs ;p

As for my computer, it will NOT turn on not even for a second. Mine is a compaq like a mentioned in my first post. Both our computers were xp. I hear no noise other than my repeated bashing on the power button after it wouldnt turn on ( :) ). I did not smell anything (but i have had a cold for the past 2 weeks so what do i know) and my brother sure hasnt smelled anything as he would have been mad if he did and more than likely something would have fried.

Thats abit strange as you mentioned you were running home and your bro was running professional. Being that professional requires more amounts of ram than home which is nothing more than 256mb. So ram couldn't be the issue. its clear from how this sounds that something in the hdd broke. i recommend using your brothers hdd and see if that works on your machine. it doesnt have to boot the os it self. just to be sure its running properly. if not then, you would already know the problem.

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

Well after finding out that my compuer doesnt work my brother is keeping all of his stuff away from it, including his hdd.

For your first comment, he is keeping the same OS and i think he is not going to mess with the ram. As for the hdd for my brothers laptop, you mentioned cheap, 100$ is not cheap (for us that is) but i think he is willing to but the money. Which one would you recommend for a Toshiba 3455 S3001 laptop. Does it matter which one you pick. I know the lenght of it matters (2.5" by the way) and the number of pins (40 something i think). does it have to be toshiba.

As for your second comment, he wouldnt do it. Either wait for the new hdd and then i try his old or just close the screen on it.

But i just need this final question too. IS THE HDD THE PROBLEM???? I need to be sure, 100$ less money less in our pocket is 100$ less money for college.