vBulletin Vs. phpBB Vs. Invision Board

Alpha

Which forum system do you like better?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well first off we had vBulletin, then we converted to phpBB and then we converted to Invision Board! :P So for the people who were here and for the others who have used all 3 of these forums, which one do you think is better?

In my opinion, Invision Board, by far is the best.

It has everything and more, plus I don't have to install as many addons anymore when I did with phpBB which took all my time. In vBulletin too many of the options were hard to find and the entire system was confusing to me and was missing a lot of good stuff. So post here your coments.:lol:

PHPBB was great, easy to use, functional and I don't see why we switched over to THIS, I hate it.

As for Vbulletin......meh, it's not all that great either.

I can see how you can hate this, this there is a ton more features that is hard to understand. I also had problems from the beginning also. The thing is that phpBB was not only simple on the outside but the inside as well. I had no real options in the admin panel, and there was no security. Not only that, I later on found out the amount of exploits and problems with phpBB. I really didn't want to risk it. :P

• 5 years later...

I have been using phpBB3 for as long as it has been out. Before I did not like phpBB2 however this new version is awesome. It brings it right up to par with the other systems. I like it better than some of the paid scripts because of its large base community.

Demo: ********

I have been using phpBB3 for as long as it has been out. Before I did not like phpBB2 however this new version is awesome. It brings it right up to par with the other systems. I like it better than some of the paid scripts because of its large base community.

Demo: ***********

OOh! a hello kitty theme! http://demo.nicetheme.com/index.htm?theme_id=133882 lmao.

Here are my experiences with IPB

IPB:

Pros

Great looking board software, but can be a challenge to skin for beginners, provides great editing functionalities in the administration panel and searching for modifications has gotten very simple over the years.

Has many, but the most demanding features that VB has but alot more better. The license IS alot cheaper I believe and if you decide not to use ipb you can sell your license.

Support, it comes with a fee, but you get what you paid for and that's a nice service with people who really know how to trouble shoot problems/issues.

When you buy your license whether its for a year or for eternity you donot have to remove your board, but the only catch is you have to renew your subscription if you want future upgrades and support only if your license is yearly.

End Pros

Cons

Not very easy to make your very own IPB Modifications via /sources and so on.

If you downloaded a very simple mod such as "who has been online today" it will prove to be a hassle to install and uninstall as it takes quite abit of time and you'll be running around the forums frontend and backend pasting code together (most old modifications nowadays anyway)

Upgrades can be a real pain, if your board is heavily modified with scripts and queries your board will most likely crash and be flooded with errors.

Integration, Users must still rely on IPB SDK in order to get some kind of Site to forum, forum to site going on and its a shame, not very reliable espcially when you decide to upgrade.

Security, it is alittle strange (though its claimed to be reliable), I've had instances where I ban a user and this user would come back and somehow hack a admins/moderators be able to login and this was at 3.1.X

End CON

That's why i would much rather use my own board software.

Edited by Snow Patr0l