Finally on the new motherboard!

So my replacement Asus P5N32-E SLI came today, I had a bit of an episode where i thought i broke it and got really pissed off and started yelling and breaking other things (seriously...i havent gotten that mad in a lonnnng time) But everything is working perfectly now :naughty: I just had to take the battery out to reset it after i upgraded the BIOS because i guess the configuration didnt work and didnt clear right.

It turns out what happened before was i upgraded to a beta BIOS not realizing it was a beta, and there are warnings all over the internet about how buggy it was, which i should have researched, but probably wouldnt have anyway because i didnt realize it was a beta in the first place

so system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 (going to try to overclock to 3.2GHz or so in a minute)

1GB PNY Gamer DDR2-667 (3-3-3-6 @ 2.2v)

Sapphire ATi/AMD Radeon X1950PRO 512MB

ASUS P5N32-E SLI

1x WD SATA 320GB w/16MB Cache

16x Firmware modded NEC DL DVD+-RW

i get my paycheck today and im going to see about getting some RAM Ive been wanting 2GB of DDR2-1066 Crucial Ballistix Tracer but who knows.

Im stuck deciding between getting that RAM (which can supposedly run at DDR2-800 3-3-3-8 @2.2v and DDR2-1066 4-4-4-12 @2.2v which is nice) or something cheaper thats designed to run at DDR2-800 and possibly lower timings or something close. I cant decide between the lower timings or the higher frequency :/

i'll possibly be selling the RAM i have now, but im telling you now its pretty much stuck at that rate, it doesnt overclock at all, or at least in my old mobo it didnt (which wasnt a great ocer anyway) i wouldnt buy it expecting it to run at anything else.

Well this board seems to be pretty easy to overclock

right now im at 2.66GHz and running 1:1 ;D Im not too sure if im brave enough to overclock any more than this though with stock cooling, maybe ill pick up a CPU fan when i get that RAM and possibly some chipset fans (the north/sound bridge run hot as hell on this board)

Edit: Holy crap my HSF is garbage, i just hit 71 on idle, flock this lol im gonna wait untill i get something better

Edit Again: nvm its raising VCores automatically thats the problem

sweet everything is working fine now, passed some brief stability tests, ill do some more later

cant get the CPU over 61C under load (60 is supposed to be the limit ive heard) i'll try to reapply the HSF to see if it helps, if so ill be running 1:1 untill i get some RAM and a new HSF

2.664Ghz

DDR2-667 @ 3-3-3-4

pretty nice, lowest FPS in CSS @ 1600X1200 with maxed out detail AA and AF was around 150 and it flys all over the place into the high 300s (id say its staying around 250 though)

I dun do the overclocking, I just don't see the point. Unless you can do some serious overclocking, the gain isn't worth the risk/lessened life of your hardware. I'd rather just put in the hardware I want, not less and try to pull more out of it.

This isn't to say I haven't overclocked, I had my P4 1.4Ghz overclocked to 1.6Ghz, but I was running some serious aftermarket cooling on the CPU and Southbridge, and I didn't want to admit to myself that I needed a new PC badly........nor did my wallet wish to agree.

well with aftermarket cooling its extremley easy to overclock to 3.4, 3.6, even 4GHz and not even spend that much money on cooling stuff, ive seen it done on air cooling

im probably going to aim for 3.2, MAYBE 3.4Ghz when i buy a cooler, which is good since stock its 2.13GHz (although i might get a free e6600 soon)

it really depends on what cpu and motherboard u have. i heard that core 2 duo are able to be easily overclocked to 3ghz with stock heatsink and fan so i might build a new computer once i have enough $$

This is my motherboard, is it possible.

Given what you have for a CPU already, you'd be stupid to waste your time overclocking in the first place. You don't need more CPU power if you can't run the latest games well, you need more RAM and/or a better video card.