PC is DEAD!

Okay so heres what happened, I bought a new motherboard to replace my temporary ones. Got a nice ASUS P5N32-E SLI. Hooked everything up, installed all the drivers, set all the bios settings, etc.

Everything was working perfectly. Then i decided to run nTune, Did the 3 hour test, and went to sleep because i wasnt gonna sit there for 3 hours.

I guess this was a bad idea because now, i go to use my PC in the morning, and its frozen with the monitor off. I restart, and get a long beep, no post.

My specs are the following

Intel e6400

1GB PNY Gamer DDR2 667MHz (I think this is the problem)

Sapphire ATi RadeonX1950PRO 512MB

WD SATA 320GB HDD

520watt Aspire PSU

So anyway this nTune program attempts to overclock for you. Everything in the PC is pretty much capable of being overclocked, But i bought some cheapass DDR2, that i think pretty much has no room for overclocking, So did it kill my RAM?

If i boot with the RAM in, I get a realllly long beep, a pause, and then a realllly long beep, and after that point i turned it off

If i boot with no ram in, I get a medium length beep, and then two short beeps.

Oh and another thing i noticed is some of my case fans dont spin now or barely spin at all

That long beep does sound like a memory error to me. That would also explain why you don't get a post test since the memory is the first thing the bios check appon start-up. I guess just replace the memory in it and see if it boots then.

The difference in beeps with RAM in and RAM out would indicate that the RAM isn't likely the problem, unless there is minor damage to a specific chip on the DIMM but the PC is still detecting it.

Every PC I've ever worked with or owned, that post errored with a single long beep, indicated a video card problem. Try another video card, or that video card in another PC first before you go replacing the ram. If it works, then it's the RAM

Damn well heres the problem, I have only one PCI-E Video card, and one set of DDR2 DIMMS, So i dont have much to test it with.

I was going to replace the RAM anyway since that was also temporary untill i could afford some really good DDR2 RAM. I was thinking the Corsair Ballistix Tracer 2GB 1066MHz kit.

I'll put the old motherboard back in since that one also has an AGP slot and see what happens and post again.

Okay heres what i did -

Got old Motherboard that works

Installed DDR2 in question

Installed PCI-E Card in question

Put processor in

System boots fine and on the monitor it says please select boot device

So its pretty clear that the motherboard killed itself right?

Okay heres what i did -

Got old Motherboard that works

Installed DDR2 in question

Installed PCI-E Card in question

Put processor in

System boots fine and on the monitor it says please select boot device

So its pretty clear that the motherboard killed itself right?

Depending on the bios in question (Each has it's own beep code system, and your's isn't listed in the manual....I read it) it could be you just borked the CMOS, did you try clearing that?

The motherboard itself isn't ruined, or you wouldn't be able to power it up, but you could have killed a bus or something.

I'd clear the CMOS and see what happens. Oh and it's an SLi system, so if clearing the CMOS doesn't fix it, try the video card in the other PCI-E slot. You may have fried the first port, it seems to be a rather common occurance actually.

long beep means problem with RAM check your RAM modules...maybe the ram controller is fried it happened to me once when i tried to run gta san andreas and disk fragmenter at the same time.

I did try clearing the CMOS and it either is refusing to clear for some reason or it just still wont boot

If the RAM slots fried its screwed (unless you can boot with everything in channel B ), and if one of the PCI-E slots fried thats also stupid to keep lying around because i plan on going SLI later on. Id rather have a fully working board so i called newegg and RMAed it free shipping and everything (last time i RMAed something with them i had to pay shipping, i guess since i was so nice to the person on the phone they decided to give me a prepaid shipping label in my email)

If i paid full price for something every slot port and feature should work 100%

Its also hard to check for fried traces since its black :/ but i'm not really going to bother looking at this point.

Now that i think about it my friend had an Intel board that did this exact same thing and what ended up happening was he needed to order a new BIOS chip which he had to pay for.

Oh and that is pretty stupid about the beep codes, Since you read the manual you probably noticed this:

The Beep Codes are listed in the table below

<Half a page of empty space>

I did read that theres a pretty good chance of this board being DOA when you get one (which mine wasnt at first) and some other problems. but once you get one that works its pretty durable, Its basically the exact same board as the ASUS Striker Extreme but with a different audio chipset and some minor differences. So i'm not too worried about it.

I think i'll hold off on any overclocking since this RAM is pretty garbage. It requires 2.2V to run at stock speeds (which are supposedly 3-3-3-6 but i could only get 4-3-3-6) and doesnt overclock at all.

You killed the BIOS running that program and not paying attention too what it was doing. The board was fine till you screwed it up with you enlightened program you thought was a easy way to overclock your pc.

You should have overclocked the pc through the bios setting and not with that crap program. I overclock all the time for myself and customers and never had a problem.

Live and learn I say..good thing Newegg is so forgiving.