Capacitors

Rag

I need to buy a certain capacitor to replace the speaker in a recently acquired Game Gear system. The sound right now only works when I plug in headphones and according to GG repairing manuals I need to replace a capacitor inside the system's sound board. I don't know where to buy a capacitor in the U.S. though nor do I really know how to solder. Anyone know where to buy capacitors, more specifically:

Capacitor 47UF:

Length/Height 5.8 mm Width 0.65 mm Capacitance 47

UF Power factor 0.3 Depth 5 mm Voltage rating DC 6.3 V Tolerance + 20 %

Tolerance - -20 % Temperature operating max 105 ?C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also this is the site http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/ggsoundfix/ if anyone can tell me exactly how difficult this process will be as I can't afford to screw the system up.

You should be able to get that at your nearest Radio Shack.

It may not be the exact size, but as long as it's 47uF and at least 6.3volts, it should be ok. Make sure you put it in the right way round. One lead will have a + or - sign next to it.

Ok thanks, I'll check our Radio Shack tomorrow. I'm assuming I'll need some type of soldering kit though too though. Any suggestions for this particular job?

Something with a very fine tip, 15w/30w adjustable (Or more range therein if you want to spend the money) and a steady hand. Sounds to me like the capacitor is of the SMD type, and quite small.......not trivial, so take your time!

Sure they can tell you how but practice is what will help you the most. Find a old circuit board from something that is trash and practice removing parts from it. Then resolder them on. Once you feel comfortable with doing that then you can attempt repairing your console. If not you have a good change of destroying your board.