Connections

GodPigeon

Well, you shouldn't notice any speed differences with dsl. I use Tune-up utilites. It has an internet optimizer that works great. I was having problems with my internet speeds using bittorrent and the newsgroups, and after optimizing, the speeds were perfect. Try out the free trial

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...Utilities.shtml

EVERYONE needs to realize there is alot more to an internet connection than meets the eye, and for the most part anything you install to "optimize" your internet connection won't do a damn thing.

These tools will fix any issues caused by system configuration, like MTU Window and flow on your end, but otherwise it's OUT OF YOUR HANDS!

There are several causes of slowdowns in your service regardless of what service you use.

1: For Dialup/DSL users, phone lines need to be in top order. Old lines, line noise and length of line/line quality can seriously cripple your connection. Don't use a 100' line extension if you only need 25' to reach the jack!

Is your telephone making the slightest background noise/fuzz? Have the phone company check/fix your lines if possible, line noise is the number 1 culprit when it comes to poor QOS.

2: A backbone server on the internet may be down or suffering from any number of issues. There isn't a damn thing you can do about this but wait. If that backbone is in line with the connection you're trying to establish, you'll have to "hop" elsewhere causing things to take longer to go back and forth. You can see just how many "hops" your connection is taking to get to the source by using "tracert google.com" in a command prompt for example. Right now I've got 13 hops, which isn't bad. If you're seeing over 25, you can bet theres a problem somewhere, which again IS OUT OF YOUR CONTROL!

3: # of users on the server your connection is sourced from CAN be a problem, but usually isn't. ISPs hate hearing complaints from alot of people, bad for business. Oh and btw, having DSL doesn't magically make you immune to "overcrowding" and you aren't "sharing" your connection with cable like advertising would have you believe. Thsoe differences in connection types are a MYTH! Problems of this nature are your ISPs fault at their servers, PERIOD! Oh and again, you can't do anything about this (Besides call and complain, but can you prove it?)

4: System tools to help "optimize" your connection can actually harm it. Be sure of what you're doing, look up info before making changes some program tells you will help make your connection faster. 99% of the programs out there that claim they can do this, are fradulent.

5: Got a computer like most people out there? Loaded with more bloatware and garbage than you need? CLEAN IT OUT! You'd be surprised at the ammount of programs that run in the background for whatever reason, that eat your bandwidth. Have 5 of these kind of programs running and you wonder why your connection is slow as dirt.

6: Don't allow ANY program to use unlimited upload speed. You are a goddamn idiot if you can't grasp why this is bad. How the hell is your browser or whatever other program you're using, supposed to communicate with a server to REQUEST if theres no bandwidth to do so?

7: Use some common sense, if you think something could impact your computers performance in a negative way of any kind, find an alternative!

i dont suffer from any of those problem that arent out of my hands, so this must be a backbone server problem that happens once in a while. My internet is fast sometimes and slow other times, more slow than fast at times.

Well, you shouldn't notice any speed differences with dsl. I use Tune-up utilites. It has an internet optimizer that works great. I was having problems with my internet speeds using bittorrent and the newsgroups, and after optimizing, the speeds were perfect. Try out the free trial

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...Utilities.shtml

I have Tune-up Utilities, and i dont see that option :o

EDIT: OOPS didnt mean to double post, it used to just add to my previous post so thats why.

Edited by GoRDoOnE

IJTF is right

after taking a Cisco and a Nortel networking class(es) you realize this even more.

Although i have to admit the most common cause of this would be the end users computer filled with crap. Bloatware/adware/spyware/viruses/poorly maintained/etc.

but alot of times theres just nothing you can do