What the hell is going on with installers?

Shibathedog

This is really starting to aggravate me, Every damn time i try to install a game that uses installshield, there is always some random file on the disc that it cant read

the games I've tried are Scarface and Need For Speed: Carbon. It used to do this with UT2k4 too but it works now. I just did a complete clean install of windows. This makes no sense.

I even tried ripping it as an image and mounting it in a virtual drive, and still same thing, cannot read some random stupid file.

flock installshield

Ever since I uninstalled->re-installed visual studio 2k5 (during the spring) the *.msi installers I have with windows have been taking a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ass time to set up. It would take maybe 10 minutes before I'm asked where I want an app to be installed.

I had the same problem as Weirdy a while ago. Didn't matter if I was installing or uninstalling, Microsoft Installer initialization took ages.

Then the problem went away, just like that. I still have no clue why it behaved like that.

i remember there was some app you could use to manually extract all the files in installers, maybe i could do that to play the game? with some luck it wont check for registry entries or anything. Anyone know what app that was?

I forgot what it was called, but it is made by M$. It looks through a certain directory that is full of *.msi installers and uninstallers.