Project 64 1.7 beta

Haldrie

The new PJ64 team has had a beta version out for some time that is only available to people that donate $10 or more to help fund the emulator and the site. I was wondering if anyone has gotten a copy of this beta and if so what kind of improvements have they made so far. I saw a screenshot on the site that showed Star Wars Rouge Squadron working but it was only the opening sequence.

Edited by Haldrie

I don't have the beta but I know a few things about it:

1. Option to use LLE. Hence why Rogue Squadron and Indiana Jones The Infernal Machine partially work. Also very slow.

2. Jabo made numerous fixes tothe Direct3D graphics plugin fixing a good number of graphical bugs in many games. This includes Dr. Mario being "perfect", no more flickering in Paper Mario, etc.

3. High resolution texture support.

4. Transfer Pak emulation in Jabo's DirectInput plugin, IIRC.

5. Hardware Framebuffer effects in support is still in the dark, although Glide64 already supports this.

This is what I know about it, but don't take all of this as gospel.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, from what I hear, the beta currently has improved audio timing, which helps with:

* 007 - The World Is Not Enough

* Top Gear Rally

* Banjo Kazooie

* The Turok games

* Twisted Edge Extreme Snowboarding

* Donkey Kong 64

and probably many others, most specifically when they use Musyx and other extremely hard to emulate sound systems.

EDIT: Can confirm this, having just recently became a PJ64 beta tester/

Edited by mudlord

• 3 months later...

I got me a copy of this new version at last and they have indeed made some new improvements. One of the new features has occured within the last few days of this post. They have fixed the problem in the video plugin where on Maro Kart 64 on the Luigi's Raceway when the monitor showed up above the entrance to the tunnel of the first turn the game would freeze for a short moment. This problem has now been fixed. Not sure if it helps any other games but I'm sure after some more testing I can find some others that work better.

Probably one of the biggest changes is the fact that Jabo has finally implemented faster Framebuffer effects rendering in his plugin (hardware-based even?), since the old method of copying framebuffer contents to RDRAM was was slow as hell.

Yep, Jabo has been working heaps on hardware framebuffer emulation (and yes, all framebuffer effects are done in hardware render to texturing, not quite sure on the exact specifics though)..Just recently, there also has been big changes in stability too...

Ya sure do and wtf. I thought emulation was all about the gaming and the ways to emulate the crap...not about the money. I know it takes time to do it but if you are not willing to put forth the time and effort for free then why do it.

I thought you had to donate $20 for access to the BETA's?

Correct, $20 or more.....

Ya sure do and wtf. I thought emulation was all about the gaming and the ways to emulate the crap...not about the money. I know it takes time to do it but if you are not willing to put forth the time and effort for free then why do it.

Its not about the money at all. If it was, they wouldnt be giving out 1.6 for free. Secondly, here's a overview of what it involves: http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=290260&postcount=1

These people are just regular old people like us that don't bring it that much money so that is why they are asking for donations for the beta to help them to continue to work on it. I actully did donate $20 to them to get this (whould have donated more but I didn't have enough money at the time).