Console turned PC Gamer...

Hello,

For my entire life I've always been a console gamer enjoying earlier Nintendo and Sega consoles. And their games, such as the Marios and Sonics. Now with a PlayStation 2 I have a healthy collection of games including Final Fantasy X, Xenosaga, the Onimushas, God of War, GTA, Suikoden III, IV, and V, and whole lot more.

I truly believe that I am a gamer at heart but as I grow older I seem to be playing less games. I don't believe it has anything to do with age(in my case anyways). I think it's the fact that the game market lacks any games that sparks my interests.

Recently I bought an expensive PC(still waiting for it in the mail) and plan on obtaining popular games such as F.E.A.R.(don't worry, the new PC I bought could handle it), Unreal Tournament 2004, and Need 4 Speed(I need an arcade racer...I just need one). I've realized that the PC game market is full of nothing but first-person shooters and MMORPGs.

It'll be great if there were a third-person action adventure game similar to Onimusha, God of War, or Devil May Cry. It'll be great if there were a single player RPG with a turn-base battle system. I've seen videos of Oblivion and the battling looks very dull. The main appeal for me about any RPG is it's storyline and battle system. Oblivion just looks very uninteresting.

Anyways, it looks like I'll just be playing first-person shooters(as for Need For Speed, I doubt I'll be playing that for a long time after I beat it). Can you guys recommend any fun games outside the FPS and MMORPG genre for the PC?

Edited by Alluminitti

Welcome to PC gaming. :P

Are you into strategy games? That's the other main PC gaming genre. As a life long PC gamer I will be the first to admit that there isn't a large amount of new stuff outside of FPS, MMO (which I don't play at all), and strategy games to play. Pretty much every PC game is now multiplatform. However, there are a bunch of old games that are great for PC but won't take advantage of your hardcore PC. Also, we seem to have opposite views of RPGs as I don't consider most console (or Japanese to be more specific) RPGs to be true RPGs. I'm from the old D&D and Ultima mindset. You won't find many turn based RPGs on PC (hell, even on console since FFXII is going to be realtime combat) because they just don't sell well. Pretty much all the old PC RPGs are turned based though.

It saddens me but whatever, I love FPS games still so I'm content with that. :P

Welcome to PC gaming. :P

Are you into strategy games? That's the other main PC gaming genre. As a life long PC gamer I will be the first to admit that there isn't a large amount of new stuff outside of FPS, MMO (which I don't play at all), and strategy games to play. Pretty much every PC game is now multiplatform. However, there are a bunch of old games that are great for PC but won't take advantage of your hardcore PC. Also, we seem to have opposite views of RPGs as I don't consider most console (or Japanese to be more specific) RPGs to be true RPGs. I'm from the old D&D and Ultima mindset. You won't find many turn based RPGs on PC (hell, even on console since FFXII is going to be realtime combat) because they just don't sell well. Pretty much all the old PC RPGs are turned based though.

It saddens me but whatever, I love FPS games still so I'm content with that. :P

Thanks for your welcome. I'm not into strategy games actually and I don't mind multiplatform games, just as long as they're actually great games.

I don't really mind FPS but some of those games just...don't get my attendion. The guns in the original Half-Life and Quake were so generic. While a game like Perfect Dark had creative guns(laptop gun anyone?).

If I'm going to play an FPS in multiplayer atleast put in some new creative ways to kill people. I love planting remote mines in typical camp spots and blowing up people. Hopefully I will come across that here in these PC games.

One more thing. Need For Speed: Underground is the best arcade racer on the PC? I've played it for the PS2 and don't really like it that much.

I agree with Gryph that there aren't many games outside FPS and MMORPGS out there really without resorting to the likes of gaming ports and emulators. I've always wanted to have other genres (fighting primarily, also flight sim) to expand rather than playing a healthy clone with new weapons/plot and some extra things added in.

I don't really think theres much turn based games out there, recent anyways. The ones I can think of from the top of my head are Silent storm, and Full spectrum warrior. But even so, they aren't turn based RPGS. The only turn based RPG I can think of is the Heroes of might and magic series. It's more strategy-RPG, but it might work.

I think the one thing you'll find in PC gaming is that the most appealing thing about it is that games can either have great single player and/or multiplayer. The online factor is pretty much helps keep the appeal on the games. I've been playing the same FPS game for years (Couner-strike), and I"m still not tired of it because of the community I've part of there.

Anyways, I would say look out for the user-created games/mods. People do a great job on them and you might find something you're looking for.

Have fun with your PC Gaming

Off the top of my head, the specs for my new PC are:

Hard drive: 300GB 7200RPM SATA

Processor: Athlon 64 3500+ 2.4GHz(disappointed that it isn't dual-core)

RAM: 1GB :P

Video card: nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB

Sound card: Unfortunately it's some Realtek onboard.

Comes with a DVD burner, Nyko Air Flo EX, free FarCry DVD, and a free t-shirt.

Onimusha 3: Demon Siege just got a PC port, and DMC3 isn't far behind.

I already own Onimusha 3 for the PS2 and beat it. Great game.

Edited by Alluminitti

I hope you don't mind me asking but why did you get this PC if you didn't know what games you wanted to play on it?

I actually had 3 games in mind and they're all FPS. Knowing me, I'm always thinking of the long term. I wanted to get an idea of what games I wanted to play beyond those 3.

By the way, those three games are Unreal Tournament 2004, F.E.A.R. and Half-Life 2. I won't pirate Half-Life 2 because a nearby store sells it for $20 :). I was shocked actually.