PREY the god of FPS

Mag

I really like this game. All in all it was an above average effort I think if you class it alongside recent Doom and Quake outings. Waayyy too easy though.

Point is, the 7.5 Gamespot gave it is unfair, I think. I always have beef with the scores they give but this one seems particularly misguided.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it to be a bit easy too. I'd give it about an 8.5 or so. Great level design, fun combat, and I particularly enjoyed the Deathwalking. It would have been nice to have more enemy variety and more portal puzzles.

The whole portal idea is one of the best innovations Ive seen happen to this genre... too bad Prey makes really poor use of it. Whenever I stepped through one all these great ideas about possible puzzle I might face later on came to mind... sadly they never did turn out.

Prey didnt make them anything more than a novelty, but Im sure by the time theres a sequel theyll be putting the formula to good use.

Deathwalking was good... it certainly beat loading the level from scratch. However it made everything ridiculously easy- it was effectively an infinite life thing that was always on. At least for bosses, they should have let the boss have full life again after you death walk. As it stands, you can just Rambo anything in the game and come out on top.

Portals and stuff isnt new though, they had that in Painkiller, among other games

(lol btw did everyone else read about how Valve is including the portal thing in the next HL2 installment? it seems like everything innovative about that game came from everywhere else...nevertheless, a good game :clapping: )

According to the development diary/whatever, I think they went through at least 3 or 4 variations of the engine until finally decided to stop working on their own engine and opting to use the Doom 3 engine.

How many times has Duke Nukem Forever changed engines? Several times over, the current known build is 9.5 gigs. It's next gen ready.