SATA and ATA/100 Hard Drives

Alpha

My current computer has a SATA hard drive as master (no pogo pins/jumpers used) and I want to install a new Maxter DiamondMax 10 ATA/100 hard drive as a slave (no pogo pins/jumpers will be used).

The problem is that the SATA drive doesn't have any jumper in it which usually means slave in ATA/100 sense. Is it different for SATA drives since it's working right now as a master? Do SATA drives use jumpers? How does it know if it's master or not if it doesn't?

Edited by GameCop

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf explains the jumpers on a sata.

From what I just found in google, there is no such thing as master and slave with sata, all are considered as a master. On the mobo there will be a master socket and a slave socket (or primary and secondary). In the bios you can choose which one to boot from. You don't have two drives on one cable, like with IDE/PATA drives.

If you are wanting to have a sata boot disk, and a secondary IDE disk, you can do that, but make sure in the bios to select scsi ahead of hdd-0 or it might try booting off the IDE disk.

Forget about this thread.. I just realized I don't even have a slot for 2nd hard drive. I'll have to buy an expansion bay and stick it in the USB2 slot.