Solved an extremely annoying DNS problem

This is not a requset for help. I already solved my problem. I just want to post the solution here, cause that problem was the most annoying problem I had with the internet ever! So if you face such a problem, I hope you will remember this post.

It all started when I removed a spyware named newdotnet. I thought it was not a serious spyware, as it did no problems when I removed it. It even had an uninstall.exe file. I was wrong.

After I removed it, many sites refused to load. 1Emulation and several other sites were O.K., but there were sites I could even ping to.

I tried using google, but with no luck. I didn't even knew what to look for! All I could write is stuff like "some sites won't load", but that didn't help me find a solution. I was really depressed.

The salvation came from an unexpected source. My antivirus. Now, you might say "your antivirus is not an unexpected source when it comes to solving problems on your PC." You are right. But I ran a few scans, and found nothing. My antivirus helped me not when I scaned my computer, but when I tried to update my AV!

The best thing that happened to me today is that the AV update didn't work. Why is it good, you ask? Because it showed me an error message: "the server name cannot be converted to the IP address". Finally, I had something to put in google!

Searching for this line, I found a program called WinsockFix. That program cleaned my DNS tables, and now everything is working again!

So I want to thank WinsockFix. Thank you WinsockFix!

This happened to my mom's laptop back in January.

I tried doing a virus scan, no dice.

Did the error checking thing in xp, nope.

Whenever I would ping to an ip or domain, I would get the following

Pinging havocforums.com [°ÿ] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from <ip> bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=48

Reply from <ip>: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms

With my pc however, I would get

Pinging havocforums.com [<ip>] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from <ip>: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=48

Reply from <ip>: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for <ip>:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 45ms

I was asking questions at the tweakxp forums, and the person helping me suggested WinSock XP fix and that finally fixed the problem.

So yeah, I owe one to WinSock XP Fix too.

IMO, you're lucky you were even able to connect anywhere because that laptop wouldn't go anywhere.

Edited by Weirdy