Euro cops seize Razorback P2P servers

Shibathedog

The action was instigated by the global Motion Picture Association (MPA), which claimed Razorback allowed around 1.3m computer users to access pirate copies of movies, music, TV recordings, games and applications.

The move follows an aggressive programme begun in November 2004 to shut down major eDonkey servers, first in the US and now Europe.

According to the MPA, while Swiss police were arresting Razorback's owner at his home, Belgian police were retrieving servers from Razorback's hosting centre in Zaventem near Brussels.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/6178/Euro+cop...ck+P2P+servers/

(click link on bottom of article for more info)

This sucks, but its HARDLY the death of emule as alot of places are saying. (lol this was even covered by the crappy local news run by college students thing this morning on the TVs at my school, www.channelone.com, cant find the article online though, WORST MOST BIASED RETARDED NEWS EVER)

This sucks, but its HARDLY the death of emule as alot of places are saying. (lol this was even covered by the crappy local news run by college students thing this morning on the TVs at my school, www.channelone.com, cant find the article online though, WORST MOST BIASED RETARDED NEWS EVER)

Yes, I agree with you there. The good news is that e-mule can still survive with its first server still out there. Then there is always BitTorrent. :)

They aren't actually. Unlike most P2P programs I used in the past, eDonkey needs a central hub that peers connect to, and in the eDonkey network there are hundreds of these central hubs. At least that's the impression I've got.

Somewhat similar to hubs in DC++, although there are no distinct channels in eD.

I still don't understand why edonkey is so popular. It takes forever to get a movie. There are much quicker, and easier forms of p2p. What bugs me is, there are a bunch of cool, rare movies on edonkey that I would like, but I don't have the patience (or bandwidth) to get.

I still don't understand why edonkey is so popular.  It takes forever to get a movie.  There are much quicker, and easier forms of p2p.  What bugs me is, there are a bunch of cool, rare movies on edonkey that I would like, but I don't have the patience (or bandwidth) to get.

Heh, I've been wondering the same thing. maybe it's really because eD has morerare stuff. Personally, I've never had to look for anything so rare that it would force me to turn to eDonkey.

thats exactly why its so popular, EVERYTHING is on emule, it might be slow, but you can find ANYTHING hehe.

Ive found some pretty rare stuff on there and it was worth the wait :unsure:

the thing that drove me nuts though, was it wasnt really slow download speeds, its just that they take foreeeevvveerrr to start.