Big Kong and Crazy Kong in.84 Mameox

chris2ferz

I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone who knows how to get Crazy Kong (alternate levels) ckongb to run on mameox.084b3

i've gotten Big Kong to work which wasn't added till mame.95

Mameox.84b3 won't detect Big Kong (bigkong.zip) and since Crazy Kong is a "simple" rom in comparison to most of the games mame emulates, i was able to see the Big Kong rom had similar file names to that of its parent rom ckong. I renamed the files in bigkong and placed them in ckong.zip. MAMEOX complains about the CRC's of the replaced files but the game does load and is fully playable.

Crazy Kong (alternate levels) was not added to mame until right after the last MAMEOX release (.84b3) so it's not detected. It also has similar file names to ckong however I have been unable to get the game to load properly with the renamed files. A video glitch is displayed and the game won't play

On the PC version of mame - I have gotten my modified conkongb romset to load fine if mame expects the ckongb rom however the same romset will not load if mame expects it to be ckong

I feel i am close to getting it to work and i'm thinking possibly the roms need to be in a different order

Please help - Thanks ;)

or if there is another approach to doing this then i'd like to know

Edited by chris2ferz

one of them had to closed and you're right to pick the one with posts :P

my guess that could help him is if he compiles his own mameox 84 adding the drivers he wants. its a shame that things had to change after 84 so we could keep up on the latest mame :P

yeah i knew i was going to need some luck to actually find someone who liked that version of crazy kong and also had mamox.84

I have tried some things but so far no luck. I know the emulator is doing something different with the romset because the same romset will work with both the original crazy kong and crazy kong (alternate levels) depending on what the emulator "thinks" it's loading. I feel it's something rather simple because it's still using the crazy climber driver so i'm thinking there's not a difference there. Also I have gotten Big Kong to work and it came out much later in version.95. The bad luck is that the game was added right after mamox leaves off which is a shame because it "almost" made it :blink:

I'm still thinking there is a way to modify the rom so that it will load and play properly just like big kong does.

this issue is not specific to mamox - it will also occur in the other ports so that's why i posted it here. It's jus a problem in mamox because there is no update for that port like some of the others to allow the game to load

Edited by chris2ferz

ah HA!

i've come a bit closer in finding out what's wrong with the ckongb roms

I think the cpu1 roms are encrypted which would explain why they are so different than the roms of the parent ckong. The roms in Big Kong do not appear to be encrypted which would explain why they worked when i renamed them and loaded them from the parent rom. I have found this entry in the source code for ckongb

static DRIVER_INIT( ckongb )

{

int A;

unsigned char *rom = memory_region(REGION_CPU1);

for (A = 0x0000;A < 0x6000;A++) /* all the program ROMs are encrypted */

{

rom[A] = rom[A] ^ 0xf0;

}

}

So if i could decrypt 6 rom files then i'd be able to play this game in mame.084. I know there are some mame experts that would be able to tell me how to do this. So please help - i'm this close :blink:

Edited by chris2ferz