Windows Vista

When you're like me and strip out as much of the sh!t that Windows ships with and replace it with 3rd party stuff (Right from the shell to major apps), it doesn't matter what version of Windows you're running as long as stuff like DX updates are available for it.

I could be running Windows 98 right now and be just as well off as I am with XP.......save for the instability :unsure:

I won't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole, EVER, not with all the DRM and Sandbox'ing SH!T it's going to come with. I'm sticking with XP as long as I can, then it's 100% Linux for me. Right now I tri-boot 2k/XP/Mandrake and spend most of my time using XP only because of games.

Windows Vista comes out in like 8 or 9 months I think, I know they can get what it already has to work alot better, but they arent going to be able to add much.

Its just not that much Better than XP so far.

I think im just going to Tri-Boot XP, 2k3, and SuSe 10 Pro soon. If i just reformat the HDD Vista is on, will that get rid of it? or is my PC going to be screwed up because of the boot menu looking for Vista still?

No you do not :)

Get to know your OS it is always important to know your PC inside and out before useing one :unsure:

Go to control panel then left double click on the system icon and look at the menus and tabs in there.

There is another way But this way is the faster option for you.

Even though I only have a P4 2gig with 1gig of ram Windows vista worked pretty good.

Madman your PC sounds old going by your comments.

Anyway just wait for the end product.

Well i have an Athlon64 3200+ Venice core here. 1 Gig of Samsung UCC RAM, both run fine at 2200 (CPU) resp. 220 (RAM) MHz.

Sitting on an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (Nforce 4 Ultra) and running off an WD740 GD with 10.000 rpm, fastest SATA2 drive known today. I view things via my Asus N6600GT with 128 MB. I got it like 3 months ago, all components handpicked, and im pretty pleased with it.

But if thats the stuff needed to run Vista, there will be not much ressources left for games and/or apps. XP runs stable finally, compared to 98 and the like, and thats all i ever wanted. I see no step ahead in Vista, besides i have a new search function, which a) is for free on XP now with google desktop and :( isnt needed really if you keep your stuff somewhat sorted.

Furthermore i expect a lot of issues with the games i play on Vista, just like some games that worked fine on 98 dont run with XP anymore.

If you like an optical appealing system, you should take a look at Vista, i rather have a system reacting promtply without optical ressourcewasting crap. :) Call me a performance whore, but i cant stand it to have useless icons showing next to my clock either.

You can edit the boot.ini

I think Cinder meant more along the lines of the hardware

Hardware ? Do you mean software. My mother board has no DRM hardware.

No, this is on the hardware level. Don't you remember reading about all this hooey and how they were doing this to take a shot at Linux?

Read this for a little more insight into what I'm referring to.

After you're done, you'll agree like any other informed consumer........that hardware DRM is VERY bad.

Well i have an Athlon64 3200+ Venice core here. 1 Gig of Samsung UCC RAM, both run fine at 2200 (CPU) resp. 220 (RAM) MHz.

Sitting on an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 (Nforce 4 Ultra) and running off an WD740 GD with 10.000 rpm, fastest SATA2 drive known today. I view things via my Asus N6600GT with 128 MB. I got it like 3 months ago, all components handpicked, and im pretty pleased with it.

But if thats the stuff needed to run Vista, there will be not much ressources left for games and/or apps. XP runs stable finally, compared to 98 and the like, and thats all i ever wanted. I see no step ahead in Vista, besides i have a new search function, which a) is for free on XP now with google desktop and :( isnt needed really if you keep your stuff somewhat sorted.

Furthermore i expect a lot of issues with the games i play on Vista, just like some games that worked fine on 98 dont run with XP anymore.

If you like an optical appealing system, you should take a look at Vista, i rather have a system reacting promtply without optical ressourcewasting crap. :) Call me a performance whore, but i cant stand it to have useless icons showing next to my clock either.

Yeah but this is a beta