DSemu: The Next Generation

Two9A

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought that the MacOS platform is Big endian, and that intel x86 and ds are both little endian.
That's very kind of you to point out, but the feature's already there. The problem is that I found a bug in the MMU yesterday, where the bytes are being swapped twice for MMIO memory. So I've prised that out, and you might have more luck with the next release, when I get the time to put a tarball together.

That's very kind of you to point out, but the feature's already there. The problem is that I found a bug in the MMU yesterday, where the bytes are being swapped twice for MMIO memory. So I've prised that out, and you might have more luck with the next release, when I get the time to put a tarball together.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it. Will you be putting back the nds files in the next one?

Will you be putting back the nds files in the next one?
DS functionality's a long way off yet. I'm gonna try to attack sound first. If I can add one channel of sound, that'll be a lot more than DSemu's ever had before.

DS functionality's a long way off yet. I'm gonna try to attack sound first. If I can add one channel of sound, that'll be a lot more than DSemu's ever had before.

Have you considered using PortAudio rather than SDL? If you only want audio it might be a better solution.

I used it years ago on the Mac and wrote my own mixer (using a logarithmic compander), but they do have a mixer if you need it.

If you use your own mixer you just add pa_lib.c, pa_host.h, portaudio.h and pa_PLATFORM.c and you're done :P It calls a callback when it needs data.

you think you'll release a built version once you catchup with doublec's work?
Catching doublec is gonna take a bit of work; it'll probably be a while. The major problem with releasing builds is that I only have a Linux box; I can compile for Windows through Wine, but I can't guarantee that anything'll work, because I can't test it.

Have you considered using PortAudio rather than SDL?
Eventually, I do want to have all 6 channels of GBA sound, so I'd have to write a mixer. I did take a short look at PortAudio, and it seems to be on about the same level of simplicity as the SDL standard sound. If the mixer turns out not to be too much of a hassle, then perhaps I'll check it out.

So what would i basically need to compile dsemu?
As of the version sitting on my hard drive right now (which I'll probably put up in the morning), you need:

• A compiler. This can be gcc for Linux/OSX, MinGW for Win32, or MSVC++.
  • The Fltk libraries and includes for your compiler. If getting them for MSVC is a pain (it was for me), I can upload a copy of the libraries I use in compilation.
  • (The current version on the website needs SDL and SDL_mixer libraries, even though they're not used any more. That dependency has been removed since.)

So that's it. Once you've got those, grab the package I'll put up later, and give it a trial run. I've got verified compiles on Linux and MSVC (from me) and MinGW and OSX (from others), so you should be fine.

Ok, as promised, a new fileset for DSemu-ng. I've simplified the Windows compile a little, and added an OSX makefile based on recommendations provided to me. Please try them out, and let me know how things go.

http://ng.dsemu.org/dsemu-ng-20051101.tar.bz2