Question about computer related parts.

Jjangthekid

Erm, I guess I could look this up on Wikipedia but I'm just being lazy right now. If you guys could explain to me these terms, I think it'll be easier in me building a computer. Thanks in advance.

CPU Socket Type

North Bridge

PATA

PATA RAID

SATA

SATA RAID

ONBOARD VIDEO (Is this needed?)

Onboard Video Chipset

Also I have heard that some computer parts are dependent of each other, such as the ram that has to match the motherboard?

If you guys, with the best of your knowledge could tell me which parts are dependent of which, that'll be great. Thanks for your time and your knowledge. :thumbsup1:

Northbridge = One of the two chipsets on a motherboard. Is responsible for the communication between the CPU, RAM, AGP, PCI Express and of course the Southbridge.

CPU Socket = Different motherboard have different CPU sockets (the spot where you put the processor). Different processors you different sockets by design.

SATA = Serial-ATA. The successor to IDE. Used on hard drives. Has a faster data transfer rate than IDE, and has RAID capabilities.

PATA = Parallel-ATA. An older technology than S-ATA and isn't used much.

SATA RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks. A system for S-ATA hard drives that lets you use multiple hard drives to mirror data on one disk. Hard drives are put into user-created array, and Windows detects the disks as a single hard disk. Primarily used for backup purposes; if a hard drive fails, the data is still mirrored on another drive, so the data is not completely lost (RAID 1 configuration; RAID Mirror).

Other uses for RAID is to stripe it, which combines (roughly) the capacities of two drives into a single array, but the data is not mirrored at all. If a drive fails, all data is lost (RAID 0).

Onboard Video Chipset = Crap. Videocard on the motherboard as a single chip.

Thanks Agozer.

I just recently read about the SLI cards? Where you are allowed to use 2 of the same kinds of video cards in order to enhance your graphic. Is it beneficial to get one? Do you think it'll die out?

I've read that the ATI has come up with Crossfire to counter against SLI, what are your thoughts on it. ATI or SLI? ATI said that Crossfire is "supposedly" be backwards compatible with other cards and that it'll work with all applications unlike SLI. Hm..

Also would you guys mind telling me if this type of brand is good?

Ram = Corsair?

Hard Drive = Western Digital?

Sound Card = Creative?

I'm sure there are more, I'll write some more later.

Thanks Agozer.

I just recently read about the SLI cards?  Where you are allowed to use 2 of the same kinds of video cards in order to enhance your graphic.  Is it beneficial to get one?  Do you think it'll die out?

SLI was introduced first with 3DFX Voodoo 2s, and the called it Scan Line Interleave. Ever since nVIDIA bought 3DFX, the terminology changed, now being Scalable Link Interface.

Well, getting SLI it's a mixed bag if you ask me. Sure, with today's games, it doesn't take much to notice the benefits of having two cards connected through SLI, since the workload is split 50/50. SLI is expensive, since you need to buy two cards instead of one, and the cards used for SLI need to be identical.

I'm not the one to say whether or not Crossfire is going to dominate over SLI, but ATi's move was expected after nVIDIA introduced their PCI Express SLI cards.

The big difference right now is that Crossfire requires it's own motherboard, while SLI happens to just use PCI-E in general.

Actually I wouldn't know 100% of it. I'm just assuming.

Again, SLI is a waste of money imho. Cant stretch that enuff.

Ofcourse SLI support grew a lot last few months, and SLI works for like 70 games now. Nvidia has a list here:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_game.html

Besides only very few games supporting SLI, its better to buy a single nextgen card later, for better speed and more features supported on the hardware side.

Your 2 Geforce6800 GT cards in SLI mode are worth a crap if you need Hardwaresupport for the next Shader Modell version.

If your getting a video card, obviously you don't need onboard video.

Only get SLI if you cash to burn, otherwise it's not really needed. IF you want bang for buck, get a 6600GT, or if you can spare it, the ATI 800/850 series.

For good brands:

RAM - Corsair, Kinston/Kingmax, Geil, OCZ

Harddrive - Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor

Sound Card - Not really needed unless your fussy since most (if not all) motherboards have onboard sound. If you insist, just get Creative.

Sound Card - Not really needed unless your fussy since most (if not all) motherboards have onboard sound.  If you insist, just get Creative.

Yes. Besides, onboard soun chipsets are far better than video chipsets. They support all kinds of things like 5.1 sound, EAX, hardware mixing etc. Only get a soundcard if you are a diehard audiophile have money to burn. Creative is the way to go if you do get a soundcard.

The onboard sound uses system memory however. As much as my onboard owns my soundcard, I use a soundcard because it doesn't use my compy's memory as much.

The big difference right now is that Crossfire requires it's own motherboard, while SLI happens to just use PCI-E in general.

Actually I wouldn't know 100% of it. I'm just assuming.

SLI also requires a non standard motherboard. It requires TWO x16 PCI-E slots, which is not a standard configuration, only SLI ready motherboards have this, and if you aren't using SLI.......'tis a waste of money.