DS Heretic v0.1 Released

I'm pretty surprised this hasn't been posted.

Anyways;

Introduction

Heretic is a classic first person shooter created by Raven software released on 12/21/1994. It is based off the Doom engine by Id software. Raven released the source to Heretic on 1/11/1999. I have taken the source, manipulated and recompiled it to run on the Nintendo DS. In my opinion, the Nintendo DS is going to be one of the greatest first person shooter consoles so far, demonstrated by the Metroid Prime Hunters demo.

I took on this project in an effort to learn more about professional game engines, and the Nintendo DS hardware. It has been a great experience.

Current changelog

August 5, 2005 -- Released!

The first release is out. Go to the download section and get it!

August 3, 2005 -- Added some new screenshots.

August 2, 2005 -- I got the automap working, tweaked up full screen status items, and got the bottom screen running.

I got the automap and the statusbar running on the bottom screen at the same time as the playerview in full screen on the top screen, but this does incur a speed hit. I made the statusbar draw on either the top screen or bottom screen based on if the playerview is in full screen. I also made the automap drawing an option. Now, you can play with only top screen, or as dual screen.

Most the items I wanted to work on for release are done. Initial release is comming soon!

August 1, 2005 -- Added ability to progress levels.

I added all the necessary code back in to progress levels. I had a bug in V_DrawShadowedPatch, which the text uses, but I fixed it up.

July 31, 2005 -- Found texture bug.

Now all the textures are working. The texture names are loaded out of the WAD using memcpy. Some texture names were not being loaded correctly, so R_TextureNumForName could not find the texture in the texture structure even though the texture was sitting there perfectly.

July 30, 2005 -- Project Page created.

I know this is not the greatest piece of html ever written, but my priorities lie in getting dsHeretic to a point where I feel I can release it to the community, and uphold some of the quality standards Raven and Heretic deserves. When this is done, I will have a chance to update this page. At that point I will add a section describing some of the pitfalls I ran into, and a section describing my ongoing work on this Heretic port.

When installing you must supply your own WAD. Check the readme file for more information.

>>MaxConsole(news)

>>Drunken Coders DS Hertic site(folks who did the little port)

The homebrewing scene for the DS is pretty interesting, I'm thinking of investing in tools to run homebrew software on mine.

Interesting. I picked up a Hexen port the other day but haven't had a chance to try it.

EDIT: The reason I never post these things (although I'd like to),

is that it could be considered a rom and therefore against the rules.

That is why you never see public domain roms here.

I'll leave it to others to decide if anything should be done.

The source is id's and it was released publically. While you can download this, you must provide your own.wad file to use it enterially.

If a sourcecode is released publicly, it's OK to link to games that have been built made using this public sourcecode. Same with PD games, they are after all, Public Domain.

I wouldn't allow posting the WAD file though, unless it has become free too.

They said you have to get the WAD yourself. I guess that means it's not free to use this way yet.

If we can do basically whatever pdroms does, then that opens up quite a bit of what we can post. Interesting indeed.

surely there are user-made levels out there that can be used freely with this? Only the levels that originally came with the game would be restricted.

What other games are out there that could be converted? I heard the Quake 3 source is going to be released soon...

There are 2 types of.wads you can use for this. The commerically avaible one which you need to buy or the shareware version.