choosing parititions to install window

Mag

Have a hard time figuring out how to make the other paritions (other than the first), to install windows. Is there anyway you can arrange the order in BIOs so it can show the changes in partition menu or I have to arrange the hardware?

thanks

The BIOS can only do actual hardware, not partition.

Don't take this the wrong way but before you build your own computer or work on it like that you should really read up on it so you know what you're doing.

Like I said, FDISK is what you use to make partitions.

Partition Magic for the lazy, FDISK FOR THE L33T.

Heh. Sure. :punk: It's just that not many people understand DOS and it's programs nowadays.

It's a little too late now (for parition magik), not sure about fdisk. Still, I'm at the point where I format everything...

Here's a example screenie to get the picture:

except I have more than one drive as display in partition..

I just like to install windows on the other partitions other than the first top one, if there's a solution to that =/

build_pc_xp2000_xp_setup_7_partition_1.jpg

Why do you want to install windows on a partition other than C:\ (which should be the first partition)?

Ok, it's best to start from scratch so we're on the same page. When you're at that screen delete all your partitions by pressing D on them. Then create another partition by pressing C and make it 10 gigs (that's a good size for the OS). Now forget about all the other partitions, you can partition the rest in Windows.

I know that, but you do realise I'm chosing the other paritions to install windows is because the others were raptors, and the first two were maxtors. I like to install windows on the raptors instead of maxtors.

oh and btw.. I know C:/ is window but I can arrange C:/ to use for the other partitions raws as well.

Of course you can make C:\ into anything but that's pointless and confusing. Why don't you make the whole thing easier and just remove the Maxtors till you install Windows. Just leave the Raptors in and install Windows on it.

well I want to avoid that, it's a hassle. Not only that, I have to remove my vid card and a chunk of wires just to rearrange them. Is there anyway after I installed windows on the maxtors, I can later then port them to raptors? (it sounds possibly vague).

No. You need to have a master boot record to boot from it. Here's a smart idea...JUST UNPLUG THEIR POWER! You don't have to physically remove the drives or move them around. Now don't tell me you can't pull their powercords without moving a whole bunch of crap because that's just bullshit. I've seen a picture of your case and it's not small.